Does a teeny tuft count on Aracaunas?

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I was checking out Lefty last night as he has turned into a little snuggler and I noticed that he does have a teeny tuft on the right sideof his face. His left tuft is very nice--hence the name--but I was wondering if this counts as being lateral tufts.

I just love these birds!

This was taken a while back--and you can't really see it here.
Lefty.jpg

idunno.gif
LOL Mine has two small and barely noticeable tufts..... does it count for show .. NO
tongue.png
BUT It counts for breeding! Tufted is tufted.... and the single tufted birds can throw chicks with lovely tufts... so a tuft is a tuft is a tuft as as good as two tufts when it comes to making babies
wink.png

Oh excellent! Yes the tuft counts and guess what. I took my pullet to show who has very small tufts, one only has three small feathers in it. She took best of breed and beat her brother who has two HUGE tufts.

Ahappychick bought my white cockerel Alabaster and he has a similar set up. They will pass on their tuft genes. The parent stock from my birds are both tufted and some of their offspring have big tufts, some small, sometimes only one tuft, sometimes none at all. It is not a guarentee. You do need at least one parent with tufts to pass it on.

Lefty is the best name ever for him!
lol.png
Maybe his right tuft will someday grow out better, but I would say he has the tufted gene so he should pass it on to the chicks. Does he make a lot of left turns???
lau.gif
Sorry it is just so cute that his left tuft is so defined and not his right. He is a keeper for sure, especially if he is a cuddly one!

Back
Top Bottom