Does a yawn mean gapeworms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sjisty, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Occasionally I will see my chickens "yawn." They don't do it regularly, but most of them seem to do it occasionally. Is this normal, or should I be looking for gapeworms? They do get wormed about three times a year with Eprinex. I don't have enough hands to hold chicken, open mouth, and look down throat with flashlight held between my teeth, but I will try again if ya'll think this could be gapeworm.

Otherwise, they are well-fleshed and eating well. Poop looks normal. Egg laying is normal. They free range and so eat lots of bugs as well as layer crumbles, scratch (in moderation), BOSS, and treats.

2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they are normal.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's normal, mine yawn sometimes. Besides, since you use eprinex...gapeworm shouldnt be an issue.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Thanks - that sounds encouraging. I tried, believe me, to look down the throat of one. These are LF Brahmas, big guys, who didn't take kindly to it. I need at least 6 hands to hold and pry open, etc.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    LOL yeah they are a handful, or two lol. If you want, use a Q-tip and stick it 1 inch down the throat, gently swab and gently pull it out. If you see a red in color "Y" shape on the Q-tip, you'll have your answer. You'll need help doing this procedure for sure lol.

6. tryxichicks

tryxichicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I wondered the same thing for awhile, I watched them and worried and worried...read as much as I could about it. The are fine several months later, still yawning, but fine. The vet I spoke with told me it would be very apparent, scratching at their heads, shaking their heads, and acting very upset. Like always symptoms vary, I would just use your better judgement! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by