Does age/sex affect the taste/tenderness of Jumbo Cornish Cross?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChicksnPacas, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ChicksnPacas

ChicksnPacas In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    I have 35 cornish rocks, probably 1/2 male and 1/2 female. They are now 47 days old, and two of the largest males weigh 8 lbs and two of the smaller females weigh 5.5 lbs. We were planning on taking them in to be processed next week, but could also go the following week.

Since this is our first time raising meat birds - do the males vs. females have a different taste or tenderness? If we wait for the females to get bigger, will the meat of the larger males be tougher or affected in any way?

They are all doing well without leg issues, etc. Any thoughts on the timing to process since there is a pretty big difference in male and female sizes?

2. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Yes, the hens will be more tender than the cockerels. I would be willing to bet that today you won't be able to tell but you will soon. There is no magic second that they go from good to bad, it depends on quite a few factors and the maturity of the bird.

3. ChicksnPacas

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    What would you think would be a good weight to process the hens? We're not processing them ourselves, so the whole group is going in together.

4. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    IMHO, they are ready. Much older and you are going to start suffering losses in the heat or from heart failure. They make tasty meat, just a little less.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    to me the males and females taste the same if butchered anywhere near the same age. I second that you should butcher now, any bigger and you may start loosing males. Besides, I find it convenient to have two different sizes in the freezer.

6. ChicksnPacas

Apr 9, 2008
    Byron, IL
    Thank you both for the replies! Sounds like sooner rather the later would be best. I sure don't want to lose any, and it is very hot and humid right now in Illinois. They are in a tractor outside with fans and ice bottles scattered around them right now. If we do this again, it is going to be in the Fall so they don't get so hot.

I really appreciate the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: