Does aggressive chick = aggressive adult

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MommaHen, Feb 7, 2012.

1. MommaHen

MommaHen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Missouri
    I have 2 male buff orpington chicks I ordered from McMurray two weeks. Everytime I stick my hand in the brooder they always charge my hand pecking at it, one more so than the other. Is this a sign they're going to be aggressive roos if they're aggressive as chicks??? I've always had orps every since I started raising chickens & they're a lovely docile breed but these 2 little guys are pretty fiesty.

2. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I had a chick that was agressive. Everytime I would stick my hand in the brooder she would charge at me. She is now 19 weeks old and she still pecks at me. So based on my experience, I think so. Sorry.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Not in my experience. Chicks hungry get all excited, Mine do it as chicks but as adults are very considerate and not inclined to peck out of aggression.

4. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I hatched out a small batch of chicks that were a cross of black australorps and golden hybrid layers. Only two of the eggs hatched and they were both roosters. One was a white color and the other a mix of black and red. The light colored chick was always beating up on the other chick even at just a couple of days old and when we hatched out a larger group of chicks he ended up killing one of the smaller chicks. He started to even charge at me when I went to feed them, safe to say we ended up butchering him before he was even full grown because he was so aggressive. So yes I think that if a chick shows signs of aggression early on it will most likely be aggressive latter in life as well. But I'm not sure pecking at your hand is a sign of aggression the chick could just be hungry.

5. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    My 2 day old Easter Egger, Mothra (supposed to have been sexed as a female), shows great signs of persistence, aggression, and fearlessness. Do 2 day olds try and fight larger, nearly full grown pullets through the brooder wiring? Mothra literally tried to spur one of the larger pullets, like, cock fighting style! I am very concerned she (though I suspect it might by a he) will only get worse as Mothra gets older. The only thing Mothra has going for her (him?) is that she (he?) is nice to the other chicks and poults who share the brooder with her. Is Mothra showing signs of aggression, or protectiveness over the rest of the "flock" in her brooder?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Sometimes interactions through a partition / brooder wiring are not a function of relative size and actuall rank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by