Does all bumblefoot have to be treated?

myawesomepullets

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
South Carolina
So practically all of my hens have bumblefoot, on both feet. (I'm working to be extra careful of not letting the bedding get too dirty/wet to prevent staph infestation). As I'm aware, bumblefoot is pretty common. Most of their feet aren't swollen/red, but I already treated one hen's bumblefoot (non-surgical, almost completely healed now) and there was a bunch of dead tissue underneath. Anyway, my main question was just if all bumblefoot always has to be treated.

Sometimes it will clear up on it's own. Sometimes all it takes is Epsom salt baths. I had 2 birds this summer that it went away on its own.
I'm relieved to hear that too! May try the Epsom salts. For how long and what strength?

How do you keep a wrap on a chicken's foot??? My chickens free range so I can see that wrap becoming filthy quickly and falling off
Put some neosporin or antibiotic cream on a little square of gauze and put that on the scab. Use vet wrap to wrap it. The vet wrap holds up really well and the birds leave it alone. I haven't had it fall off. Wear gloves. Bumblefoot is a staph infection. I changed my birds wrap today here's a pic of how I wrap it

20211001_102129.jpg
20211001_102136.jpg

Back
Top Bottom