1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does an auto egg turner in a LG change the temperature?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hens_And_Chicks, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    This time I am using the auto egg turner which I bought for my LG Still Air bator - I have a digital temp/humidity guage that reads 103 but another themometer reading 100 (used this same set up for the last hatch and both themometers reflected the same reading all the time)

This time I set 41 eggs - never had more than 15 before.

It's day 10 and I candled and discarded 6 eggs that did not appear to be developing - cracked them and they were not so I felt confident but the rest of the eggs have me baffled - they are all brown eggs so a little harder to detect the veining.

If I was not sure, I just left them after I smelled them.

Does anyone have any experience with changing from hand turning your eggs to the auto turner method?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont have any experance with that but I am shure I have read that youre not sapose to put eggs right beside where the turner moter is because its to hot for them , so maybe if you have the one therm by where the moter is its warmer there. Just a thought. SOmeone who knows more will answer soon I am shure.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm just looking for input - if you have experience, please feel free to participate.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well exscuse me , I will not make the mistake of responding to your quries from now on , I would hate to waste my time or yours.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

The egg turner motor gets very hot and gabrielle1976 is correct that is recommended not to put eggs close to the motor. Overall it did raise the temp a few degrees in the whole bator. I positioned my computer fan addition over the motor to distribute this heat as well. I have to adjust mine down a hair when I remove the turner after day 18.

6. Hens_And_Chicks

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't have an egg next to the motor. That egg well has a cover over it.

Many times I read a thread and do not respond because I don't know. Sorry to ruffle any feathers.

I'm trying to understand something I don't understand.

7. Pagemaker

Pagemaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    If you use forced air (fan) incubator it doesn't mater where you put the eggs the temperature will be steady even right next to the turner motor.
    The turner will not make the incubator increase in temp.... that is what your thermostat does.... while the turner motor does get hot the fan will keep that heat distributed throughout the incubator... and while it produces heat the thermostat will just reduce the amount of heat that the heating element has to produce. So don't worry about the myths of the turner motor causing problems....
    .... the main problem that I see it causing is that it is always turning the eggs so gradually that its almost like not turning them at all.
    I think the eggs need to be physically turned.... like the way the sportsman incubator does... its on a timer and when the timer signals the timer motor it actually turns the eggs.... Even a hen when she turns eggs under her while she does it gently... she still makes sure those eggs are moved and the embryos are exercised and the yoke doesn't stick to the shell.

sorry I got to rambling

8. Hens_And_Chicks

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I don't think you are rambling - I thought the same thing - the turner is continually turning - we'll see how this works - it's my first time using the auto turner but being a cheap LG still air, I don't think you get much for the money - I may not keep the turner - I think I might do a better job turning the eggs myself. I'll be really sad though if my hatch rate decreases significantly because I invested a bit of money in two sets of eggs from different breeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by