does any body have 4-h chickens or hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by smokeyodie97, Aug 29, 2010.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    I would like to get into 4-H, but I am afraid the chickens that I have are not show quality. Does anyone have show quality chicken eggs for sale for a price a 12 year old could afford? Also, does anyone have any tips on showing chickens in 4-H. The information I have read makes it seem very difficult.
  2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Have you talked to your 4H club yet? Some clubs (like ours) required you to purchase any meat chickens that you were going to show thru them. They only had certain classes, too, so if you'd bought something that they didn't judge, you'd have been wasting your time. Start by contacting them and go from there. Our first year (my oldest child showed) was last year and the hardest thing was really just making sure that you didn't miss any deadlines for ordering, reporting in, signing up for the showing classes you wanted to be in, etc. Your 4H leaders will help you with that. If your local fair is big enough to have their stuff online, see if you can fine the fair guideline book from last year online, that will give you a good idea of what your requirements will be for the coming year as they usually don't change too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by