Does any one breed grey silkies??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Frozen Feathers, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I had a hard time getting my little trio of grays (got 2 from MN and 1 from NH) and was wondering if anyone bred them. Just curious. [​IMG]

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Songster

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hey Angie,
    I know that Lydia Webb of Webb Acres in AL breeds grey silkies. She has excellent birds too!!!!!!! I think she has an auction for 5 greys on Eggbid right now. Check them out! She is a member of BYC too, I saw her post birds in the "Buy, Sell" catagory. [​IMG]

Lisa in FL

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Thanks for the info Lisa. Her birds are gorgeous [​IMG] and I'm tempted...but I do not need to buy anymore Silkies. <--- Must repeat over and over again until I get it through my skull....lol. [​IMG]

4. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Songster

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Don't bother resisting the temptation, Angie... we know you have the "addiction" No sense in fighting it! heehee [​IMG] The next thing you need is.............. Showgirls!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is some of my kids.[​IMG]

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Oh no don't show me that!! I love SG's! I was even going to breed my own line, from scratch and then I acquired some really great Silkies and decided to focus on them instead. It's so hard though...I love too many breeds. Next years breeding plans...
    Grey Silkies
    Splash Silkies
    Blue Silkies
    Phoenix
    La Fleche
    Phoenix/Yokohama (American Longtails)
    Here's a new one...EE/Phoenix (Longtailed Layers... hopefully w/ blue egg gene [​IMG] )
    Then I have my Phoenix/Silkie pair that I will be crossing just out of my own curiosity.
    And I have one gorgeous little Phoenix/Jap X roo that I may cross with a yokohama...again for my own curiosity.

See...too many...
    [​IMG]

6. blue90292

blue90292 Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    please educate me.

gray is not blue? does the gray look more on the black side, while the blue looks more on the lavender side??

michele

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Grey is more of a pattern.
    [​IMG]
    A correct grey cockerel
    [​IMG]
    A correct grey pullet
    [​IMG]
    Another grey pullet. She is actually too white in the chest...it should be more chinchilla grey. She is also missing the grey pattern on the neck...it's not really lacing or barring, but a mix of both, I just don't know how to describe. [​IMG] But she has perfect feet and nice feathering, so she stays.
    ~~~~~~~
    A blue should be mostly a solid color throughout. Shades vary from almost black (but shouldn't have a green gloss like a black would) to nearly lavender.
    Here are a few examples of blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then there's splash which is a white base with specs of blue or grey throughout.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  8. arlee453

arlee453 Songster

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What pretty birds!

I REALLLLYYYYY want to hatch out some banty sized self-blue old english...

Susan

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Thank you. [​IMG]
    You know Ideal Poultry sells hatching eggs and they have Self blue OE...not until 2008, though. Or check out Eggbid.

10. blue90292

blue90292 Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    thank you so much angie. now i realize this lady sold me greys. which is fine, i just didn't realize there was such a color in silkies! it's great being on this site. you learn new things everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: