does any one have ducks or geese that live inside

nosduj

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
i am building an indoor pen for my ducks and wanted to pm with anyone that kept there ducks indoors to learn and share

lol, i've officially become the indoor duck person. lol. I have an indoor pen i just made this week.

I've have my ducks inside since they hatched in august. I originally got them when i lived in chicago, but i soon moved to alabama after i got them. My townhouse society doesn't mind me having them but i can't keep them outside.

If you don't already have the ducks inside, research more! I highly reccommend the book, "Duck there's a goose in the house!" by Nancy townsend (you can buy it here: thegoosesmother.com). It is the only book on indoor waterfowl and it has TONS of essential info.

I also reccommend you spend the time making a pen with a lot of features... I promise you'll thank yourself later. I made mine 4x9, a foot off the ground, and 2 feet high. There's a nest box with a lid at the end where they lay their eggs. I cut holes in the floor and rigged two kitty litter pans under the holes. Between the holes and the pans i put a 1/2inch wire. I put their food and water on it seperately to help with the mess they make when eating. I just posted pics of the pen here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131278

I'll also post my hand drawn plans on there after this post. Hopefully it'll give you some ideas.

Be forwarned, once a duck gets used to the comfort of 70degree stable temps... they get spoiled. Mine will literally walk outside, feel if it's too hot or cold and immediately walk back in and sit under the vent. lol. they are brats.

Also, if you raise them inside from babies and plan on keeping them inside all of the time, IT IS A TON OF WORK! It's like having 2 year old children in your house. They get into everything, you constantly have to clean up after them and for them, they throw tantrums, and they will expect to be treating like humans... Mine get offended when they arent allow to sit at the dinner table or go in my kitchen (which we're working on, lol). I literally have up baby gates to keep them out of parts of my house.

If you don't build a huge pen, i highly reccomend you bring your ducks outside once a day and get them diaper harnesses so they can walk around and get exercise in the house. They will get restless in the pen and they will quack to be let out. Also, ducks raised strickly indoors will always want to be in your presence, hence why the diapers are very convienent.

If you have any specific questions or anything at all, feel free to pm me! I'm probably the expert on keeping ducks inside... lol. I've figured most of it out the hard way too!

i've officially become the indoor duck person

Yes you have! LOL

Your runners are so cute and we demand more photos of the new babies!!!!​

oh alright, here's a couple more...

close up!
S7305968.jpg

this is my foot! fear it! ONe day it will have huge tallons that will cut you!
S7305972.jpg

looking kinda pathetic that he couldn't get away from dad in the tub, now he's caught and has to go back ot the brooder!
S7306030.jpg

Last edited:
thank you so much you dont no how much that helps i will definently be that i will have to pm you many questions as time goes on but you are amazing i wish i had this hole deal together like you

no problem. I live breathe sleep, (not eat, lol) ducks... They are practi ally my children... heck, they act like kids!

You should see them get offended when they aren't allowed in the kitchen or at the table when we're eating....

The best was when they were running aorund upstairs while i hopped in the shower. I had the door open and i called to Victor from behind the curtain as he walked by... He literally walked past the door as i said his name, turned around and looked at me... walked forward a couple steps, turned around and walked back to get a second look, tilted his head, and ran into the studio where Ming Mei was sleeping. He quacked at her loudly, and then they both came back to the door to look at me again, in THEIR shower... They were very upset with me! lol.

Ducks hold grudges... they were mad for a week after that....

When i forgot to give them "people food" for a few days (they get vegatable and fruit treats everyday) they got really mad at me and refused to eat their feed. Yep, ducks on a hunger strike... ever heard of such a thing? After i gave them their peas and mangos, they finally started eating their feed again.

They are such funny funny creatures....

were can i order that book and can ducks be trained to come when i call

Back
Top Bottom