Does any one know how to sex baby pheasants ?

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
I have been hatching all the eggs i get from my pair of ringnecks and i was just wandering if any one knows how to sex them . I dunno if maybe they can be sex linked or not . Any info would be great . Thanks

Ive read in a book where you can look at the eye, or the mark by the eye and tell that way, but I dunno what I did with the book. If I find it, I'll tell the name of it.........good luck........ed

Quote:
I never found it to be too reliable when I kept Ringnecks, but according to the "experts", there is a strip of down that runs from the cere and the upper mandible along the cheek that can be an indicator of sex. See pic below -

sexing01.jpg

Again, I didn't find it to be most effective, but some swear by it!!

Dan

Hmmm I'm sitting here staring at my new Blue Back Ring Neck babies and nothing on their adorable little faces match that! So,,, I have one hatching right now and then I'm gonna stare at it's face too! LOL,, whatever sex they are they are cute!

you also can check right where the wattle will be just slightly pull down along the face and if you can see the wattle then it's a rooster, I also look at the legs. I have found that there is already a start of a spur it's just a little bump.

I dont see a ring around any of my chicks eyes and they all seem to have a littile bumb on the legs and they dont seem to have a wattle . Guess ill have to wait and see . My luck ill get stuck with all roosters

Quote:
Waiting is the best method, once they start to color out, you'll be 100% sure!!

Quote:
Would like to see some images of this if you have them. Have seen many female pheasant chicks with the "bump" on the tarsus, so not sure about that one.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom