Does any one know what breed these geese are?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Agdketo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Agdketo

Agdketo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Aledo, Illinois
    Okay, so I bought all three of these at a flea market, and I have no idea what they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm not sure, but at least one is a Canada hybrid. Perhaps one might be a buff or a buff hybrid. Don't know the third.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:The one sure looks like it has Canadian in it, my they are beautiful, Congrats on your new geese.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I agree with Miss Lydia about the Canadian Cross and the other more like an American Buff. Does have a full breast and deep paunch which at first made me think of a Buff Dewlap cross but the absence of dewlap on the picture made me lean more towards American Buff.

Lovely birds though [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

5. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    The first one is a female pilgrim, the second is definitely a canada or canada cross, and the third is a buff. Sorry can't tell you what sex the second two are. Female pilgrim are colored while the males are mostly white.

6. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I'm not sure but I think I see the canada goose 'chinstrap' on the first one also - with the white speckles as a sort of overlay. It's also got more of a canada goose body shape - no lobes, more streamlined. I think the first two are canada crosses. #1 seems to have a bulkier neck than #2. If you have a bunch of mixes running around, you can get different doses of the genes. Like #1 might be 1/2 canada and #2 might be 3/4 canada.

I agree #3 looks exactly like an American Buff to me. And compared to the others doesn't she look like she's got a lotta junk in the trunk? [​IMG]

7. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    First 2 are totally canada goose hybrids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by