does any one use pellet stove pellets for the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whitehousechix, May 10, 2011.

1. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    just wondering if it's cost effective, I use them in the horses stalls and love it, and its pretty cost effective, the other stuff I like is bedding sawdust, basically really really fine wood chips from the local landscaping forest products place. thanks in advance for your guidance, LOVE YOU, oh when I bough my chicks they were on pellet stove pellets there, in a water tank ( stock tank)

2. whitehousechix

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    help, i went ahead and tried them they stay vety tidy, but the chicks are scratching around in them, cant tell if they are eating the bits of damp pellets or are picking out the dropped food will they eat tiny pieces of wood???help??

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    i use actual bedding pellets- not the wood stove pellets. They are a bit more expensive but they do expand better when wet and they are all pine.

4. whitehousechix

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    i used bedding pellets in the past, but cant tell a difference between the two, im going to go look at the youngsters shortly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by