Does anybody else have more than one flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MsChickenMomma, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    I currently have two roosters that don't get along, and I am planning on making another coop and giving my youngest rooster his own flock of hens. My question is, will both flocks be able to free range together without fighting?

My current flock free ranges, and they love it. My concern is that I won't be able to free range my second flock. I don't want my roosters to fight, and for my hens to fight because they went into the other flocks coop, etc. Is it possible to free range both flocks without them fighting? My main concern is that even though both of my roosters will have their own hens, that they will still fight.

My other question. Is there any way to get my roosters to get along? I'm hoping that if they each have their own coop, and their own flock that they will learn to ignore each other. I love free ranging my chickens, and it would really be great if I could free range both flocks in the same yard, without any fights. Has anybody done this before? If so, what were the results of doing so?

I really need these questions answered, because I am at a loss here. It's not an option to re-home either of the roosters. I have grown too attached to both of them, and besides the fighting, they are happy here.

If you are able to answer any of these questions, please do!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't see there being peace between two roosters who don't like each other when they're out together. You'll probably have to alternate who ranges each day, something like that. Plus, just cause you say a hen goes with a specific roo doesn't always mean the hen agrees!

3. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    The only reason my roosters don't like each other is because my oldest rooster doesn't want to share HIS flock. So we were thinking that giving my youngest rooster his own flock, they will get along better. They don't fight, they just don't particularly like each other. My oldest rooster try's to start fights, but my youngest rooster just jumps up on the roosts or runs away.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I rotate mine. They all got along for awhile then one day one of my roos decided he was the king & a fight broke out. I'm not into bloodshed so I just let them out one flock at a time.

5. catsbully

catsbully Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    If the young rooster just gets out of the way of the dominant rooster I really wouldn't bother with doing anything about it! Seems to me the situation is under control. No one is getting hurt and there really shouldn't be any stress under those conditions.

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I used a red coffee can to train mine to come back to the coop when called, so my three flocks get different times of the day to free range. I need them separated for breeding purposes, but even so the rooster battles are distracting and dangerous for the birds. Chickens are flock animals, they are all going to want to be together when they get the chance.

7. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Well the situation isn't under control. My youngest rooster can't even get off the roosts unless he goes outside. Then when he is outside, he can't get back in. So he never gets any food. I currently have him living in the front of my barn, so he at least gets food. He doesn't like being in there, and he really wants some hens with him. That's why I would like to give him his own flock so he is happy.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I wonder if they are anything like drakes? I know with my two boys, i have to separate them at night, otherwise things well let's just say go badly. During the day, they are together with the rest of the ducks, they get into on occasion but for the most part leave each other be..

I would think you'd have to try it to know, that said i see nothing wrong with separate flocks, one day i'd like to add more chickens but have no plans on enlarging the current flock, so it would be a separate flock to accomplish this.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    That could be. I usually put my youngest rooster back in the coop at night, and take him out first thing in the morning. Three times now he has been caught by my oldest rooster and got a few bloody spots on his comb. Never very bad. When I free range all of my chickens, my youngest rooster basically roams the yard by himself because he is constantly getting chased away, and he is starting to get lonely. That's why we considered giving him his own flock.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you can separate the coops by a few hundred feet, giving them each a territory, then the less dominate one will tend to avoid the others area. There still could be fights but they would be less frequent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by