Does anybody else's calls fly? I mean REALLY fly?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnnaLease, Sep 14, 2011.

1. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    About twice a day, the two boys take a short joy-flight. It really amazes me how HIGH and how FAR they can go. They fly so far away, that they look like little sparrows in the sky, except that they have white bibs! After a few minutes of circling our 11 acres, they come back to the girls, who can't fly very well and therefore stay on the ground and call the boys back (thankfully). After they come back and land (none too gracefully), they tell the girls about their travels and then go back to bug catching. We always run out on the deck and watch them show off. Does anyone else's calls take a few daily joy-flights? I think the ducks would probably claim they're excercise flights.

2. roboboy

roboboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    We had some a couple of years ago who would take off and circle the yard every morning and evening. Once we gave my uncle a drake because his died and two days later the bugger was back at our house. He flew at least 7 miles back home.

3. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    How do I post a video, so I can show you my ducks in flight?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a pair of calls, and they do this, too. Yup, at least one daily, extended, circular flight over the property. It amazes me every time. Not that they can do it, but that ducks *I* have can fly so well. They can even do the hovering, backwards-flapping maneuver to suss out the ground below them before continuing on or deciding to land.

Just like a Mutual Of Omaha nature show! [​IMG]

5. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Calls are great fliers...mine kept leaving the yard until a few dogs moved in and we got worried about them catching the ducks. We clipped a few feathers on one wing, but they still manage short flights from their pen to the porch.

6. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yah! mine fly a lot!

7. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    my drake flies around the yard a bit. Its kind of funny to see him on the roof. Occasionally he'll follow me somewhere.

8. Hate to be so blunt... but why are you amazed. Some breeds will fly thousands of miles. Call ducks are the best known domesticated duck that can and wants to fly. I do apologize for the bluntness, I just always thought that this was commonly known.

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'd color myself amazed because mine can fly better than my parrots, and the parrots are smaller. The hovering thing was what got me...I have one I've named "Chopper" because he can hang in the air like a hummingbird, waiting for you to get out of his way before he continues...I think the Calls give us a rare opporunity to see live action of some pretty amazing flights. Wild birds may be able to do it, we just don't get to see it.

10. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    And...it is always amazing when YOUR baby does something! Even laying eggs....I am still tickled pink everytime I see my eggs in the morning. When I see mine fly, my heart does a funny little thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by