Does anybody elses chikns do this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by griffinheather, Jul 4, 2011.

1. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    I live in central Louisiana and the temps have been dreadfull so far this year. Well, my hen and roo don't want to spend the night in the coops. Plus, now my smaller chicks that I'm mingling with them, are not wanting to stay in the coops at night either. I'm guessing since it's so hot. The coops are open to the air and (I think) quite comfy. I'm so very lucky that I've had no issue at all with predators. I live w/n city limits so I don't stress to hard about something getting to them (they're secured in a large run w/ their coops). I was just wondering if this was normal. [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many times this is the case. It may be too warm for them in there, or if they have gotten a scare in the night by something, that will keep them from wanting to go in. Also, check for mites in and around the roost bars, holes that mice could get in or even snakes. These sort of things will scare them from going in.

No matter where you live, you are going to have predators. So it is a really good idea if they do sleep in the coop. Lure them in with food, (I have to do this every night) or physically pick them up and put them in for the night. Don't let it become a habit to sleep outside or they may never want to sleep indoors. [​IMG]

3. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I have been told many times that some breeds just want to be outside. I was told RIR and production reds would rather roost in trees then anywhere else. I have production reds for the first time this year and they want to be in trees all the time. I think I am going to have to clip there wings to keep them on the ground.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have RIR's its hotter than three hells with a lid on it. But my birds love their coop. Is your coop positioned in the shade mines under a big tree .

5. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    The only tree near my coop is on the north side, so no shade. It does have ample ventilation.

6. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    Oh yes, they're under a nice shade tree. I checked around for any ickies but nothing there either, guess I'm gonna have to pick them up and put them in the coop. We'll have to see if that works....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by