Does anybody ever feed caught mice to their chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Aframechickens191, May 28, 2010.

1. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Now and then, especially during winter, i take fresh mice from the traps in the shed and feed them to my chickens, who absolutely love them. they polish off a good sized field mouse in about 2 minutes! Does anybody else do this?

2. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I'm a little wary about possible germs from mice (especially in my area...), but my gals did slurp up an entire family of field mice that were nesting in our shed & darted into the run when we moved a bale of hay.

And by slurp I mean all of them were swallowed whole, even by our bantam Cochin...! [​IMG]

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yes, every time I trap a mouse he goes to the henyard. They're dead at the time. I wouldn't throw a live one in. It might get away!

4. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    yes im usually leery about the mice that we catch in our smallest barn because thats where our tractors are kept and i never know if they have gotten into any fuel or such. and i have given some live mice to our chickens heehee i just go out to our wood stockpile with some thick leather gloves on, lift up some wood, and grab the mice! its pretty amusing, and i dont consider it cruel because the mice are always dead within seconds of touching the henyard ground, if they even get that far! [​IMG]

5. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    [​IMG] What about toads?

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I dunno, I was thinking mice have some meat on 'em, a little fur, probably pretty tasty. But TOADS? Ick.

Oh... it's lunch-time here, that's why the mice sounded so good. Sorry.

7. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I just caught one of my hens eating a lizard she captured!!!!

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    No [​IMG]
    One word: Disease
    Another word: Yuck! [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No, i would never do it. Although i'm sure that they've caught some on their own... [​IMG]

10. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I don't do it because we have a cat who is a good mouser. However he is wary of the chickens and lost a fence lizard he was "playing" with just yesterday. So I'm sure he has fed the flock a fes mice as well.

That said, my concern would be worms. Worm everyone with fur and feathers regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by