Does anybody have a good idea for a "water spill catcher"?

homeschoolmama

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Flagstaff, AZ
I don't know what to call it and have searched the forum but I would like to make something that I can put my 1 gallon waterer over to catch spills and keep the water out of the shavings inside the coop. I thought I saw somewhere on here someone had something covered w/ hardware cloth. I don't really just want to do a bowl or tray w/ the waterer inside if i can figure out something else.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm sure you could make something like that. Just put together some type of pan with some type of grid over the top of it. You could use a lot of different things.

Are you having a problem with wet shavings now or are you just worried that you'll have a problem? I'm just asking because I've never had a problem with too much excess water in the coop, just from the chickens drinking. I do know some people have had trouble occasionally with a waterer that leaked or wasn't level. Sometimes hanging waterers get bumped, especially if the chickens are more crowded or there's something going on in the flock.

I'm sure I could come up w/ something but thought why reinvent the wheel if someone already has one. This would go in my new coop. My other coop has a dirt floor and the occassional spill doesn't seem like a big deal there, I don't want my wood floor to get ruined and hubby isn't into doing the linoleum floor thing
sad.png
. I'm so lucky at this point that he is even building me this one (back part of our storage shed) to accomodate way too many (in his view) new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom