Does anybody have any experience with those prescription drug cards?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MandyH, Nov 17, 2010.

1. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

THe ones that you see advertised on TV for so much a month. My husbands drug card through works sucks and the doctor has put me on 2 prescriptions that are going to cost us $500 out of pocket per month. THey do not comein generic so that is not an option. Pros and cons, worth it, etc.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Have you discussed this with your doctor, and discussed possible alternatives?

3. MandyH

Yes, these meds are the last resort and now we have come to the point where I HAVE to have them.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mandy have him ask at work if the have a flexible spending account or Section 125. If he does, then he can have money taken out of his check before taxes that can be spent on prescriptions, co-pays, and all over the counter medications. The money is loaded on a card and you use that to pay the expenses.

5. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    I am not familar with the drug card that you pay for. So i dont have much to offer on that aspect but you can look online for coupons for the brand name drug he takes. It will save you some money if there are any available. Also depending on how much income you have you can contact the manufacturer of the drug and see what programs they have to help you pay for the medicines. Sometimes there are coupons and sometimes there are programs you can join. It is kinda hit and miss! good luck.

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    There are drug cards that you DON'T have to pay for. Check with your county health department to see if your county offers anything. Ours does; through the National Association of Counties.

Your pharmacist may not be much help with this; the cards are kind of a pain for them to deal with.

7. MandyH

Thanks for the replies, we are kind of between a rock and a hard place right now. He makes too much money for any assistance or reduced fees but his drug plan pays zilch on brand names. The two meds we are most concerned with right now have no generic counterparts.

8. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Most drug companies also offer some type of assistance with "copays" or cost in general. Check with the particular manufacturer of your medications to see if they can offer any help...a lot of times they can and will. Good luck to you!! [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Canadian RX or Mexican RX???
    Is that an option for you?

My cousins go to Mexico to get her precriptions filled by the bulk and it is manufactured by the SAME US companies.

10. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I don't know if this would apply in your case. My blood pressure med was expensive and I asked about generic the pharmacy told me there was not one available. One time when I went to get it refilled the pharmacy told me they were out of mine but they could give me a lower dose generic but that I would have to take two to get the correct dosage. [​IMG] I then called my Dr. and asked him to change script to generic x2 a day. The price difference was $90. [​IMG] Don't know why it didn't register sooner with the pharmacy, but I now ask more questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by