1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anybody have any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sammiegrace, Jan 1, 2015.

1. sammiegrace

sammiegrace New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    Stacy, my 3 year old Black Australorp has been very lethargic for the past 1 1/2 weeks.

She usually hates being held but I can pick her up now without any squirming or anything.

Her feathers are puffed up, and her head is close to her body. She talks all of the time and her eyes are perky and she observes everything... Her breathing is normal and her breath doesn't smell. I can't find any swollen parts on her, and the comb is less than pink but her wattles are bright pink.

It started out with her having really opaque yellow/white poop. She wouldnt eat her pellet food but would drink some water. She looked like she was really cold and would not move. Instead of sleeping on the perch, she would sit on top of or in a nest box.

I took her inside and gave her a warm bath and fed her applesauce. She loved the bath and it seemed to give her energy. I put her back outside (we let our chickens roam in our yard when we're home) and she was nibbling at grass and moving a little bit more.

I put a heat lamp in the coop as well.

I went away with my mom on a trip and my dad had told me that she looked like she has gotten worse.

She was back to where she was before, except that she was eating and drinking less and was not pooping too much. I have her inside right now on my lap. Her feathers are puffed and her head is close to her body. No poop at all. She will not drink or eat anything... but she is peeping.

Does she have worms? She has had them once when she was about a year old and we treated them and they went away. She's not the best layer and has problems laying eggs occasionally.

Thanks. I will post pictures of her soon.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    how does her crop feel? She may have impacted or sour crop. Hope she is ok!

btw, is the penguin in your picture yours? Its cute :)

3. sammiegrace

sammiegrace New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    I have felt her crop and there's hardly anything in it at all. Her breath smells fine as well ^-^

I wish I took that picture! I love Gentoo penguins to death! XD

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  4. sammiegrace

sammiegrace New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here she is. I can get more pictures if that will help.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could be laying internally or have egg yolk peritonitis. Her poops sound like she could be passing some egg yolk material or even could have some E.coli possibly. If a vet is possible I would take her in so that you could get an xray plus some good antibiotics, such as Baytril.

6. sammiegrace

sammiegrace New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    My dad will not take her to the vet. Will she contaminate the rest of the flock? Is there anything I can get her? What happens when they lay internally?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is not infectious to the others if she has egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. If your parents have a regular trusted vet, they might prescribe Baytril or amoxicillin for her. Baytril can also be purchased online as enrofloxacin 10%.

8. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    ok :)

lol, me too! they are really cute!

9. sammiegrace

sammiegrace New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    Again, My dad will not take her to the vet. He does not find that necessary for a chicken, even if she is a pet. She is probably going to die, isn't she?

10. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I know your dad won't take the bird to a vet but maybe he'd allow you to take some of her poop to the vet to be tested. Even if the vet doesn't treat birds, they can test the poop for both worms and different bacteria. It's usually a minimal charge, not expensive. You can always call the vet before going to see how much it would be.

If the vet finds a type of worms or bacteria, then you can research and learn what medicine your bird will need.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by