Does anybody have pics of chicken innards?Can't figure out what thisis

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Smokin Silkies, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I got the heart and the stomach/gizzards, lungs are out and the liver. There are 2 oval things that I think are the kidneys, but my husband disagrees. We are beginners and just butchered our first chicken....a mean rooster. These things are whitish and very soft and are a perfect oval shape? Are they the kidneys or what? Thanks

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    My guess is testes. Are they close to the spine and kind of hard to get out? If so, definitely testes...

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Testicles or possibly kidney.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    They are the things responsible for making your bird a rooster, and making him mean. [​IMG] The kidneys are smaller, reddish-brown, and lie further down the backbone. I find them more difficult to remove from the pelvis.

5. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I didn't gut him. My husband says that they weren't attached to anything...that they just 'fell out'? They are decent sized for the small chicken. I cut one in half and it just looked like fat, very soft and mushy like. I think they were the testes. After I posted this I went out and looked again and then I thought it might be that....lol If thats what they were, they were pretty big for a 5 month old silkie bantam...lol

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Yup, those are testes. The kidneys, in chickens, don't look like mammal kidneys. The kidneys are the reddish-brown, liverish-looking tissue inside the lower back portion. There's also a small round dark reddish-brown organ, sort of a little ball. That's the spleen.

7. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Like this?

[​IMG]

8. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Yes Tim, thats what they looked like. I guess they turned a whitish color after the blood drained. I didn't get to them for 20 minutes or so after 'the kill'. So are they the testes?

9. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Sorry, yes. Or, at least that is what I told when I posted the picture and asked what they were.

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I love when this topic comes up. Haha, don't feel bad, this question is asked on a fairly regular basis.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by