Does anybody have pictures of Mottled Javas

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by stormylady, Jan 2, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I was looking on Ideal website and they sounded pretty interesting, does any body know anything about their habits, temperment, egglaying, does anybody have pictures. I know they are rare but I can't even find a picture of them except drawings but I would love to see the real thing. Thanks

2. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    They are rather rare. One reason they fell out of favor is because they take a long time to mature--as much as 1 year. Many people do not want to wait that long for them to start laying. I know some one who has some and he got them in the spring. They layed about 10 eggs that fall and then winter set in. He did not get anymore eggs until the following spring. He was very frustrated with them. They are good foragers, but to lay they need laying feed and they lay maybe 3-4 eggs a week. He said they weren't worth the cost of keeping. [​IMG]

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thank you for the responses. I guess i will continue looking for my special breed. I don't have any chickens yet but i was wanting to possibly get a rare breed at some point and try and breed and help out the species, However I do really want Delawares I really like the look of them and there supposed docile nature? Thanks again

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just hatched my first ones this fall so I can't speak to how they'll lay.....or even how fast they'll mature. I will say they were some of the prettiest chicks I've ever hatched.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Please consider speckled sussex. I raise them and they are so gentle.

I do sell their hatching eggs and will ship for $25 a dozen (including extras that day and shipping) PM me if you want some or more info on them. I'm in Georgia and the rooster is still very active

I am getting roughly 5 eggs a week from each of them....expect more as the days get longer - they've just started laying. I have nine and would gladly have more. The rooster is so sweet even - he comes up to me for petting.

I have many breeds but these are even sweeter than the Buff Orphington's.

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

7. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree, speckled sussex are definitely some of my favorite birds. Their temperament along with their laying abilities made me fall in love with the one I had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by