does anybody have...

Keene's coop

Songster
9 Years
Feb 8, 2010
neenah, wisconsin
ducks and chickens living together? i have 4 chickens and would like to get a duck or too, but don't have the room to build another coop for the ducks. can they live together or is that not a good idea
hu.gif

we can't free range. live in the city. my alderman says there is no laws on ducks, yet. but she said that i would be grandfathered in so i would not have to worry. i only have 4 chickens, but enough room for 6. would the duck be fine on it's own without another duck? or not

A duck would be happier with another duck. Mine all live together, but be prepared to clean the coop and refill the water 5 to 10 times as often as you would with only chickens.

Quote:
x2 ... my ducks share a large run with my egg flock and free range with them, but I DO NOT let my ducks in the chicken coop! They are the quintessential bad roommate. They track water everywhere, bill the food out of the feeders, have much messier poo, and just generally slob everything up.

I have four ducks living with approximately 30 chickens. The ducks are clumsy and messy, even though they have to reach through head-size holes to get to the water (so they can't swim in the chickens' drinking water) it somehow STILL manages to get full of soggy food, mud, and duck poop multiple times a day. If there's water in the pen for them to splash and play in, expect your pen to be a stinking, muddy mess that attracts flies, unless you can locate their swimming/bathing pool somewhere that drains nicely, like on grass or gravel instead of dirt. My roosters also pick on the ducks.

Other than that, there's no reason not to keep them together. The biggest thing is the water mess.

Back
Top Bottom