Does anybody here go Bikejoring?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by goatkeepers, Aug 29, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    DH and I are getting into bikejoring and he just ordered the "Bay-o-net" online at: http://www.nooksackracing.com/bikejoring.html

He
    wants to take one of his dogs and I want to take my dog. We just got one of those things for now, to test how well they work.

I love going inline skating with my dog; he LOVES pulling me and I think he'd make the PERFECT sled dog/skijoring dog. Too bad there's no snow here. [​IMG] Ever...

So bikejoring looks like the next best thing.
    I wanted to see if there's any fellow bikejorers here from whom I could get some tips and info. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I used to skijor but its been a LONG time (since before I had kids,lol)! I always think its great to include dogs.Right now I have one that would make an excellent skijorring(sp?), that is if there werent other people around. He would love it.But detests virtually every other human being on the face of this earth except myself and daughter.Sigh.[​IMG] I have considered giving it a try anyway since he listens well to me, and could work with smaller groups. I couldnt imagine doing any competing though!

3. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have sled dogs and we do bikejoring to help train our leaders in the summer. It's tons of fun.

A good thing to teach your dog before you get on the bike is the "on by" command. It tells the dog to ignore distractions on the trail such as another dog or something interesting to sniff. Because, you could go for a real nose dive if your dog stops abruptly.

It is very difficult to get a picture while bikejoring
    [​IMG]

Happy sleddog
    [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I think having zami pull a bike would be mildly suicidal. At the speed she runs and tendency to zig zag and get distracted the bike would definitely get tipped. I have been doing some sled dog training with her and would like to try a scooter in the summer and find a cheap sled to try out this winter. With a scooter you can always step off it so it seems a much safer idea than the bike.

5. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Hmmm....we have skijoring up here...but it includes a person on ski's and a horse pulling them at full speed over jumps and tight corners . Is bikejoring anything like this ?

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Bikejoring is you on a bike with your dog(s) pulling you. Skijoring is the same, but on skis. [​IMG]

Freerange, cool that you go! I am so envious that you can do skijoring!!!! You have no idea! [​IMG] Can you tell me what harness you ise for bikejoring? I read that the regular x-back harness (like you would use for sledding) isn't good for the dog's back when you use it bikejoring....

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:I believe that would be called"monatana style skijoring"

8. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I hadn't heard that the x back harness was bad for the back. We do use them and haven't found a problem. That being said, I sure wouldn't want to temp fate. Maybe a Manmat harness would be better or even a wheel dog collared x back. We prefer the h backs ( they seem to fit better).

We also run with a very long gangline on the bike. That way the dogs are pulling at a better angle and you have extra time to stop if there is a problem.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    For Zami I have a skijoring harness that looks a bit more like a padded walking harness than a sleddog harness. This one:
    [​IMG]
    off this site http://www.nordkyn.com/

She
    can really pull on it and I've lifted up over rock ledges while we were hiking without her being uncomfortable. Being a tall dog and the connection point higher up instead of low like on a sled that works much better than an x back type harness.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We took our dog out yesterday. We need to get proper equipment, but I can really see us getting into this. It was amazing to see the natural pulling instincts that our dog has. He couldn't wait to pull and never wanted to stop. I reminded me of when I was a kid we would go watch the start of the Iditarod, he was more excited to do this than anything else we have ever done with him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by