Does anybody here know anything about vintage campers/trailers?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HHandbasket, Jan 2, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Happy New Year, BYCers! My DH and I have been looking for a cheap camper/trailer to use in our back yard as an additional room for guests. We have a tiny, tiny house, and it's impossible to have company come visit overnight. Plus, I am a jewelry designer/beader, and all of my beads, jewelry tools, notebooks, and supplies are kinda everywhere in our tiny little house. I don't want to move until we can afford a bigger place in the country (hopefully by mid year, fingers crossed!), but in the meantime, we need more room, and I need a space to use as a design/beadwork/art studio. Cheap used trailer seems to be just the thing!

To that end, I have been perusing craigslist ads, taking drives in the country where I know there are houses with old abandoned trailers outside (we're looking for a fixer-upper/project camper), and talking to people to see if anyone knows someone with a camper for sale. We've looked at a couple, but today I found the one I'm going to get!

It was the single-most unique camper/trailer thingie I have ever seen in my life. It looks like one of those BIG barbeque grills, the kind they make out of steel drums but are super-sized, like 8 feet long. It also kinda looks like a miniature oil/gas rig. Very cylindrical in shape, and it's a pop-up camper inside. You open up the sides of the cylinder & it becomes two twin-size beds/sofas. At the head of the trailer near the tongue, there's a stove and a refrigerator that work. I wanted something I can paint and fix up, and they were going to paint it and all the prep work is already done! I think this thing is older than me (I'm 48).

Does anyone have any idea what this thing could be, based on the description? They paid $1,000 for it and were selling it for $800, but now they just want it out of their garage (plus the lady's sister is my neighbor & they're just the nicest folks), and they're letting me have it for $300!!

So I got home today from checking out this camper, and hubby and I perused the internet for HOURS for images of antique pop-up campers/trailers, and we have not found anything even remotely resembling this trailer. I'm hoping to find someone who knows something about old trailers. Anybody?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

PLEASE post pictures! That sounds so cool! I don't think I've ever seen one like that and I just love old and unusual things.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah..post pics! Its not a tear drop camper is it? THose wernt really barrel shaped though...

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We're going next Sunday to get it. When we get it home and start fixing it up, we'll post lots of pics.

It's just a bizarro lookin' thing but it's in decent shape and has a lot of potential.

5. EHaus

EHaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Anchorage
    That sounds so cool. Perhaps someone built it themselves? Have fun with it and be sure to post those pics!

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    If you were in MI I'd direct you to a place in Michigan Center, MI that sells new retro and old vintage campers.... but CA is a bit far!

LOL, small world, I did a quick search on retro campers (cause I think they're cool) and found the place I mentioned above...

http://www.ynotcamperrestoration.com/Index.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    It sounds like it may be homemade, out of some kind of tanker cylinder....I've always thought it would be kind of cool to set up housekeeping in a large culvert, or under and overpass.[​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:There are a couple of culvert houses in Tucson, & they are really cool. I haven't been there in over 20 years, so someone from Tucson can verify this. Look on Presidio Rd. & 1 block east of Dodge Rd.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Airstream campers do not pop up as OP mentioned. Unless she means something else pops up.

I love those Airstreams, the best camper you can have on the road! Never had them but camping friends had them and they are GREAT!

Better than those honking big, pull out sided fifth wheel campers........they are not fool proof and they do leak sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by