1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anybody know of a Dark Cornish breeder or decent hatchery?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Smokin Silkies, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I've been looking and haven't found anything yet. I'm more than likely going to buy some DC this Spring along with a few other breeds. I would rather get them from a breeder but hatchery is fine I guess. They don't have to be show quality or anything....they are going to be for meat. I decided I will probably go with Dark Cornish, White Plymouth Rock and Buckeyes. I'm going to breed some of the DC with WR and see what happens. I'd appreciate it if anybody has any advice as to where I can get some decent chicks. I have a person in mind for the Buckeye's but I'm open. All of these breeds, breed true right? I want to stay away from the hybrids and I want only pure....no mixed. Thanks!!! Jamie

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
  3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I'm not sure if they still have them. I think I checked with them last Fall and they said they got rid of them. I could be thinking about someone else. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

4. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    On their site they say "We are rebuilding our flock please contact us for availabilty" about the Dark Cornish. So I emailed them. thanks for the site [​IMG]

5. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    The Almish around us raise and hatch Dark Cornish and a few other color varieties; though they're straight run.
    I think they're more expensive than the usual hatcheries; I've never purchased this breed from them, but I have purchased birds from the Almish and they are very truthful and rather pleasant to work with (they're often quiet, but very courteous).

If ya want some, PM me and I'll see if they're hatching any now; I can just ship them as day-olds to you for them, you'll just have to pay the shipping and the costs of them.
    I think they price $3-$5 a piece though [​IMG]

My Wellsummers came from them and they're in great health!

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We still have Dark Cornish. We were going to get rid of them, but deceided not too instead we just culled the flock down to the best of the best. We will have limited numbers available in early 2010.
    Thanks for all the emails.
    Sharon

7. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Quote:I'll keep you in mind for them. I'll check in with a few places and see whats the best as far as price and distance between us. I meant to say in my original post that I'd rather have hatching eggs unless it'll cost about the same for day olds. I'm still undecided. By Spring I hope I know what I'll be getting and who I'll be getting them from. I don't have much time.......lol! [​IMG]

sands poultry, I emailed you...twice cause I screwed up on my first email [​IMG] I need some sleep [​IMG]

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Thanks, but where the heck are you? And do you mean Amish, with no "L"?

9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Sorry for any confusion I may have created. I wasn't trying to deter anybody from getting your business.

10. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Amish - keep misspelling it. Anyways, I just sent a friend an email who live near the Amish community to tell them how to ship if they choose too. Too bad the Amish don't use the internet... or do they? They should be a day old when ya get them (less than 72 if I remember correctly) if ya choose.

I don't think they use phones either, so contact is going to be strange lol

Our PO had been allowing us (and others) to ship chicks over 24 hours old; thought they had an idea of what they were doing, but I suppose not - something about telling someone they're wrong gets me in trouble, especially authority figures; they'd be doing it for awhile - so no more shipping chickes over 24 hours [​IMG] though I think they do fine, as long as you get them to ship them within 24 hours!

Um... I have a list of an individual breeder here in KS who raises purely Cornish, will find their number and give you a head's up! If ya still want it that is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by