Does anybody know? Ordering turkeys from Ideal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Jan 4, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I place my spring order for chicks from Ideal, I'd also like maybe 8 turkey poults to raise with the chicks. I can get the poults locally, but thought it'd be simpler to order from Ideal.
    Does anyone know what the minimum # of poults would be if they are shipped with chicks?
    Just thought I'd ask before I email Ideal.

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I don't think they ship turkeys/ducks/geese etc with chicks. I think those are shipped from a different location. At least that is what I remember seeing, because I wanted to order chicks and also ducks, but the site said ducks would have to be a separate order.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Okay, thanks. I've been told conflicting things - to raise poults successfully it's best to have them with some chicks to teach the poults how to eat and drink. On the other hand, I've been told never to raise turkeys and chickens together. This past week I saw turkeys and chickens co-existing successfully on an organic farm; so I know it can be done.

4. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    My turkeys, chickens and ducks co-exist peacefully, and free range together every day.

I think the main fear with it is blackhead. I've heard both ways that turkeys will infect chickens and vice versa. No idea [​IMG] I also figure that if anyone was going to keel over dead, they would have by now.

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    A friend of mine who raises Royal Palm turkeys keeps them in with chickens and everyone seems fine on her property. None of her animals really respect the fencing keeping them in their own pens, so she usually has chickens, turkeys and all sorts of things all running around together.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    you can order them at the same time, but they do ship seperately because they are raised seperately. I'm ordering my first turkeys this spring as well. Ideal has started taking pre-orders for spring turkeys.

Gobble gobble! [​IMG]

Forgot to say that they have different order minimums on different breeds because they are shipped directly from the breeders. I know that it is a minimum of 10 for Midget Whites. I don't know any of the others off the top of my head.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    k, thanks. I'm going to contact my county agricultural extension office about having our soil tested for blackhead, but I don't anticipate it to be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by