Does anybody know the gender of these?

Kulyks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
They're about two months old. There are twenty chicks total - 12 were bought from a breeder, 8 were hatched one week later from the incubator. The twelve we bought are of two breeds - most are black Australorps, and my mom, who was doing the buying, doesn't know english very well and didn't remember the name of the other breed, the one that is brown (this includes the golden chicken, dark brown, medium brown, and silver ones - they're the same breed, just variation in the plumage.) Does anyone recognize this breed?
The other eight were from my grandmother's chickens (she lives in eastern europe, and we live in america, so that's why we hatched these via incubator). Some of them came out black, just like the black breeder-bred australorps, and now, after two months, I can't tell the incubator-hatched ones from the bought ones. Three came out white. All these are of no particular breed, just mishmash, as my grandmother's kept chickens for more than twenty years and interbred them, obviously.
I would really, really appreciate it if you guys helped me gender them. This is my first time keeping chickens, and although I have an idea of who's who, I can't be sure. So, here goes:

This is the dark brown one, I'm thinking she's a girl. Sorry about the picture quality, I know you can't see her very well.
DropBox

This is the silver one. He's heavier than the others, which is why I think he's a boy.
DropBox

This is the brown one with a red head. I think she's a girl as she has a very small comb.
DropBox

Here's a picture of her head;
DropBox

Here's the golden one (first one)
DropBox

One of the white ones
DropBox

One of the black ones
DropBox

The other white one:
DropBox

DropBox

Another black one:
DropBox

It would help me so much if you guys knew the genders, but if you don't know them all, that's fine! I'll just wait a little longer.

I have one last question. My chickens recognize me and come running to me when they see me coming from afar (because they know I mean food) but they don't let me get close to them. They'll swarm around me and peck at me, but they won't let me grab them or hold them, they won't come anywhere near my hands, if I try to pick them up they freak out and fly away. Is this normal? If not, is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable with me?

ARRGG!!!

I'm new, I'm sorry, I know the pictures didn't work out. How are you supposed to upload pictures, this is the second time I've tried that they didn't work out! Can anyone help?
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom