1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anybody really know?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've asked for months on end Its not protein its not coop space They free range everyday. I've tried everything in the book. They lay everyday they just look terrible. Feather p[ecking . How do you stop it. I hate to kill em they lay eggs like crazy. Does anybody really know how to stop it. I'm gonna give a list of what I've done. More protein check free range everyday check used pinless peepers check anti pick lotion every one check checked for lice daily check. I'm going crazy. Has anybody stopped this behaviour . I'm now trying pine tar its not really helping. Any suggestions !!!!!! Coop is 8x10 run is 150 sq ft I have 11 large fowl chickens in the coop. They free range all day everyday. Help is needed.

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Are they all kind of ragged or just some? Do you notice them pecking each other outside or do they seem to only do it at night when they are cooped up? Do you have a rooster?

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'm having a few issues like that. It's a few different things for me though. I had a rooster that was "special" and took for ever to do his business and he just tore some of them up. I also has some partially start to molt and have never got their feathers back. I've checked mine for mites & lice and haven seen anything! [​IMG]

I'll be following your thread to see if you get some great ideas!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have one rooster who was being pecked and his skin was red, combination I believe of nutritional deficiency from layer feed not being enough for him and the pecking. The redder he got, the more they pecked, attracted to the red. I had to separate him out and now his skin is healing and he is growing feathers. I think that once his skin is healed and covered with feathers, they won't peck him anymore, but if I see it happening again, I will do something else. He is in a separate cage until he looks like a chicken again, though. Misses his girls, but likes being spoiled. Is it all of them or a few or just one? (I had no luck with Rooster Booster/pine tar or Blu-Kote - they just kept on pecking.)

deb g

5. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Oh forgot to mention I switched him totally over to game bird feed from the layer feed he had been eating with the girls.

deb g

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I do have a roo. I've seen them peck feathers in both situations. They all look terrible even the roo has feather damage on his vent. They like small fluffy feathers. They ran out of vent feathers & now are on to their backs. Never draw blood just eat the feathers.

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    They eat the feathers? Or just pull them out?

I wonder if it started out as dietary but when you fixed the diet it continued as habit. Do they all do it or one in particular?

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    A couple of things come to mind:

1. Mites. There are mites that don't live on the bird so they don't show up when you look. These live in the pores of wood and bedding. Clean the whole coop super-well using a shop vac (wear a mask!!) and then put down Sevin dust prior to new bedding. Dust the heck out of your roost with it. Some recommend painting down the roost with a mix of Olive Oil and a bit of Tea Tree Oil.

2. LIGHT? Do you have a light on in your coop at night? They should only have enough light to draw them into the coop and to find roosts, then it should go off for the night.

3. Mice. I've seen in a friend's coop and suspect it could be in yours: mice will eat the feathers right off of the bird during the night. Try to determine if this is a problem and do a search for remedies.

Good luck!

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:No lights. I've never seen any mites. I've checked them at night. No mice I have hot wire right next to the ground plus there's sand all around the coop I've never seen any tracks of anything. I know its them pecking each other. I applied some more pine tar last night & right as I was putting one back on the roost her neighbor pecked at her. I don't know. They don't hurt each other just peck their feathers. They have never molted you think maybe after a molt they will stop. I know I'm reaching. They do eat the feathers because I never find any plus I've seen them eat them. I have posted about this & have read so many threads its crazy. I did read about adding salt to their water never tried that.

10. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    quit pulling your hair out. Get a dezen pullets and process the fat girls you have now, problem solved. I'm only half teasing, sorry i don't have the answer to the riddle but it is a palatable solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by