1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anybody vaccinate their chicks? or just feed medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Paintedhorsegirl, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    I was wondering if people vaccinate their chicks besides giving them medicated feed or if thats it? Ive only ever done medicated feed when they were chicks but Im wondering if I should also vaccinate and if so what vaccinations should I give?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I do NOT vaccinate.

I buy medicated feed (Manna Pro) chick starter

and when that's all used up (about 2 weeks),

I just buy the NON-medicated check starter/grower.

[​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I just use medicated feed. I will probably use the medicated starter until the youngest is 8 weeks, some chicks will be older. I have different ages of my birds. I also use manna pro and I'm really happy with it. I also use probiotics in their water. They will have the probiotics for a few more weeks since I brought a baby home yesterday.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I do not do vaccinate or feed medicated.

5. SabaiFarms

SabaiFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Calhan, Colorado
    Quote:x2

6. Myles

Myles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Is the medicated food worth the extra cost or is it more of a scam?

7. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    I have and use both, but I let the chicks tell me. I seperate the weak from the vibrent, and the weak get med for about 3-6wks. Works well for me.

8. laboroflove

laboroflove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    This is my first time using Medicated. I actually got it by accident and didn't realize it until I got home. Next bag of feed will NOT be medicated. I don't vaccinate either.

9. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Quote:Is there a reason you dont like to use medicated food? Can it have a negative effect on them? Im asking because Im getting new chicks and trying to decide if i should medicate or not....?

10. Myles

Myles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:Is there a reason you dont like to use medicated food? Can it have a negative effect on them? Im asking because Im getting new chicks and trying to decide if i should medicate or not....?

I am assuming that they do not fel it is necessary to vaccinate their birds. But until they confirm, I'm still just guessing. At this time I don't plan on vaccinating mine. I'm not sure if the medicated feed is just a price gouging gimmick, so I won't buy into it yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by