Does anybody watch that cooking show called "Chopped"?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chicmom, Nov 2, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Did any of you see that episode where one of the required ingredients was a silkie chicken? Yes, I couldn't believe it when I saw the meat and it was SOOOOO incredibly black. I mean, I know they have black skin, but I hadn't though of eating them, so I was amazed when I saw the chefs cooking the silkie chicken. It didn't just look like the dark meat on a chicken like I had imagined. It was black meat!

I just thought that was so interesting, had to share,

Sharon

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I saw one where they used auracana eggs...I will have to watch for the silkie chicken one! In china, silkies are a delacacy....they are supposed to be good for lebedo and health [​IMG] They are very expensive!

3. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Aww, I didn't see them use the araucana eggs...Darn! Yeah, Kari, I was so surprised to see the flesh (meat I guess) was super black, not just the skin. It was kind of shocking looking and I don't think I'll ever eat my silkie.....Amber is just so darned cute! A PET ONLY! LOL

Keep it clean please!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...the wierd thing is, the chinese supermarket near me actually sells frozen plucked silkies...they don't remove the heads or feet...in most asian cultures, a meal has a beginning and an end, and therefore, the symbolic representation is an intact meal so to speak...

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I have to say that the silkie meat really looked gross. Theirs had heads and feet too......It just looked nasty. [​IMG]

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yeah...they do look pretty disturbing...my mother is Taiwanese, so she has seen them before....I just don't know if I could eat black chicken meat...

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    One of my favorite shows [​IMG] I saw that one, the Aurucauna (sp), and the one for this Halloween with the chicken feet that made me gag a little. [​IMG] So yesterday I was at Walmart in the meat section and I look up to see these huge chicken feet in the package staring at me. I had to catch my breath and walk away. For some reason these just have a horrible effect on me. The Silkie episode made me really sad. I love my Silkies, they're such sweeties [​IMG]

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I LOVE this show. I hate missing it.
    I have to confess, though, there are times it pushes my gag reflexes to the limit! The chicken feet(with the toe nails still on)...UGH!

9. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Yeah, they do eat some nasty things.....They ate dried grasshoppers one time.......And I do believe I saw them make the chefs prepare a sea cucumber which looked SO GROSS....

It was really awful looking to see that silkie chicken with the head and feet on....That black meat was just terrible looking......

10. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I watch it when I can. Last night they had duck breast. Not sure what breed but it did look yummy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by