Does anyone actually clear a profit with their chickens?

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
I've noticed several people writing that they sell eggs to "offset the cost of feed" and I'm just wondering if anyone actually turns a profit? I recently started selling my eggs (for $1.50 although I wish I'd started at $2--I hate to raise it already) and I've been at least breaking even if I can't say I've been actually collecting profit money. One thing that helps is I let my girls free-range from lunchtime till bedtime.

I haven't, don't really expect to I guess. I spent almost 10 dollars on them so far and I still get no eggs
tongue.png
Maybe it will come out in the wash when i get a dozen eggs a week for my family.

It's going to depend a very huge lot on a) whether you include the cost of constructing coop etc or not; and b) whether you retire your hens and keep feeding them even if they are no longer laying so well (which also depends on whether they were high-production layers in the first place, or not).

Creative number-juggling can take care of either of these problems, e.g. considering coop construction as 'capital improvements to property' or considering chickens who no longer lay well as pets independant from the main bunch o' layers. What Mark Twain said about statistics is also true of accounting -- there is lies, d*mn lies, and accounting
wink.png

Pat

Everyone in my area sells for $2.00 a dozen. That's cheaper than the free range grocery store eggs by about half. I'll never be in the position to sell, I just enjoy the benefit to my family and friends with fresh eggs and of course all the free entertainment!

Back
Top Bottom