Does anyone actually have tame ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jools2014, Feb 4, 2017.

1. jools2014

jools2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi,

I have 5 ducks and they are not tame at all. My older two are slightly more tame but the last 3 I got are terrified of people and are also making the older two more scared as well getting all worked up. It's ironic because I expected these ducks to be super tame as I had them in the kitchen from 2 days old ducklings and my broody hen raised them. Could it be because they are all Campbell crosses? Are these not so tame? If this is what all ducks are like I really wouldn't recommend anyone keep them as pets as they are jut so scared and make such a mess it really is a thankless and expensive job! I have just stopped bothering trying to interact with them now and I just feed them and give them water and let them get on with their own thing as it is quite obvious they will never be tame. I have no idea why as they have never had any cause to be scared of people! My hens are a little bit more tame, I have one super tame hen left who is my oldest bird but all the rest are not very tame. I'm not sure I would ever recommend that hens or ducks make good pets! Does anyone have very tame ducks?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have very tame Ducks.....6 Ducks.....how old are your Ducks?
    Fast movements above their heads scare them. Slow movements and being calm is what they need. If you got them as older Ducks? Or if they are between the ages of 2 to 3 months the get the Ginger Man syndrome and run like your a beast....they then calm down again as though it never happened........
    Feeding treats to them tossed out in front of you, such as peas, dry cat food, lettuce etc....Will condition them to trust you.....The more frustrated you get the longer it will take....

I love Ducks.....excellent pets....

Sorry your having a hard time........

Cheers!

3 people like this.
  3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Ha, ha, ha, I love the "gingerbread man" syndrome. I hadn't heard that before but I did experience it. I also have five ducks, 4 Khakis Campbells and one Campbell cross. Also started with two that were pretty tame and then hatched three that became skittish after they joined the others. I thought it was because of where they came from. The first two were from a hatchery, the three from eggs came from a family who had ducks loose on there pond. I figured that on the pond, only the jumpy ducks survived the predators so their offspring would be more nervous. But, after reading Chickens Really's post I think we were just going through that phase because they are now (at 6 months) much better. I also did what she suggested about the treats, so they associate me with food and run to me when I go outside. I hope it's just a phase and they get better for you!

1 person likes this.
  4. chickens really

Yep, haha! They become like Gingerbread Men.....lol
    Also if raised by a Hen she teaches them to be Leary if she is also Leary of people....?

In time they will come around!

Cheers!

5. jools2014

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi thanks. My first 2 ducks I got separately at POL-the most tame one was hand reared and so much better and would take treats out of my hand (I only had 2 ducks for a long time) so having only 2 was ok they weren't too bad. Then I got 3 babies and as well as being very very noisy compared to the others they are very scared. They were raised by my broody hen who is a bit scared of people too but I only have 2 who ever go broody and they are sisters so both wary of people. My new ducks are about 6 months old now.

I'm sure some people have tame ducks but I would never recommend anyone get them as pets, much better to get a dog at least you know it'll be tame. Probably less expensive too I'm spending a fortune on feed and bedding. Not to mention bird flu! Oh well! Guess I will continue with the treats and see if they get any better.

6. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Hope it does!

7. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    All of our ducks are very tame, and we have 47 which sounds like a lot but once you see all of them it's really not.

8. jools2014

Aug 7, 2014
    Wow, how do you keep everything clean? They make such a mess! I knew this before I had ducks but am really struggling right now due to bird flu restrictions and having to keep them inside. I am going through bedding 3x as fast. Even when they were outside they make everything wet and muddy-again I knew this before I got them, but I think maybe I underestimated it! I wouldn't mind so much if i got anything back from them but atm it's just work and expense and no thanks from them just them running away. Frustrating.

9. chickens really

That's too bad....Not everyone enjoys Ducks. My friend just sold all her Ducks. She hated them. I would of took a couple but I need more room!

Try and sell yours? Probably not possible with bird flu going on?

I feel sad for you....

10. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I know your pain. BEEN THERE. My original ducks all hate me. I have some that I helped bring into this world and they hate me. All I can say is treats treats treats and give them on their level. Sit down with them. No sudden moves. Don't give the treats unless they approach you.

There definitely is a "ginger bread man syndrome" let's hope yours are in this phase and will soon come around[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by