1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone Breed Rare quality chickens in nc

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by blueoval1, Nov 25, 2008.

1. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I am looking for some nice hens to add to my flock such as Cochins, Orpingtons, Delewares, Wyandottes and others. If so please let me know.

2. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Ok, so, I think I can help (my first)! I'm not sure if you about these, but thought Id see if it'd help anyway.
    No, I dont specifically. But a great place to look is http://www.ncagr.gov/paffairs/AgReview/class/10-08bird.htm They advertised several of the breeds youre looking for on there. They're all in NC and you can call and talk to the people about what they have available and what kind of stock chicks/hens come from. Another option is this Friday where you'll be able to see what you're buying and should be able to find something. There's a show in Winston-Salem at this place: http://www.dcfair.com/information.html [​IMG]

3. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Thanks do you have any mor info on the show in winston salem. Im new to byc to but [​IMG]

4. wadek2008

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks! I actually do. I know that there will be a guy there with a Black Cochin cockerel and batam blue and black cochin cockerels by the name of Matt from Morganton. He's showing standard cochins and I believe breeds them. I can give him your email if you'd like. I got this off a local Yahoo group. Let me know if you want the web address and Ill PM it to you.

"Only 3 days till the last show of 2008. This is normally a nice
    show with a good amount of exhibitors, sellers, and buyers. Like
    all local shows the main focus will be bantams, but there will be
    standards and bantam ducks. For exhibitors, all birds must be
    in their display cage and ready for judgin by 9am. For those
    looking to buy, if you are looking for the best deals try to be
    there between 8:00-8:30 and hang around as folks setup. Alot of
    birds, especially hens, are sold as they are unloaded and never make
    it to a cage for others to see. If you see someone getting ready to
    setup, don't be afraid to ask what they are selling.

For those that do not know, the show is in the Poultry & Pigeon
    building at the Dixie Classic fairgrounds in Winston-Salem.
    http://www.dcfair.com/information.html

****Weather*****
    The last time I checked the rain had been completly cancelled for
    Friday and Saturday. Well there is a 10% chance, but that ain't
    much. Will be cool for those that get cold, so dress warmly."

5. wadek2008

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Its the 29th, by the way, which is Saturday. Sorry, I got my dates mixed up.

6. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    We have birds in NC
    Quote:

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Are you looking for standard or bantam Cochins?
    I have both but tomorrow I am putting my 2 standard Cochins roos in the freezer. I could never find a home for them so off they go. I still have about 10 hens in black and blue that are standards but all my bantams at this point are white.
    But next Sat. I am trading a pair of my white Cochin bantams for 2 blue pullets and I know the guy has 3 cockerals (blue) still to find homes for. He lives in Sevierville, TN but we are meeting down in Columbia SC next Sat. I am not sure what other colors he has on his place as he works for a vet and comes in contact with all different colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by