Does Anyone Clicker Train Their Chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I considered putting this under the Chicken Behaviors section, but the topics there seemed more about illness and strange symptoms, so hopefully here is okay.

Just wondering if anyone has trained chickens using those hand held clickers. Someone posted a YouTube video a while back of a chicken that could identify shapes and colors and the trainer was using a clicker combined with a scratch reward. I've been unable to find that video since, but there are several along those lines on there.

So the other day I was in my feed store and I saw those clickers at the register. It seemed so cute and fun, so on impulse I bought one (which of course is exactly why they put "impulse items" at the register!). Once I got home I thought, "I don't know what the heck to do with this thing". I plan to search this topic online, but wanted to ask all my chicken friends here first.

Anyone use them? Successes? How did you train your chickens and what can they do? Or even a good source for me to check out more on clicker training would be great.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] My chickens are trained to come right to me when I show up with food. Does that count? With a full time job, 2 horses, 2 goats, 55 chickens and 10 ducks, I simply do not have time to even entertain a thought like that.

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I haven't but they learned what the click of my tongue means! I've heard of teaching them sit by their squatting for the roo stance, but never looking into it. My Silkie, Rose, know how to step up and down like a parrot, just stick your hand about 2 inches above her feet. Besides that' they just scratch the ground like livestock [​IMG]

4. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Yes, I have. You can search my posts and find a few topics. My Buckeye pecks a target, pecks when I tap and say "peck", is harness trained, and will type hi on the keyboard.

5. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ondra's Seramas :

Yes, I have. You can search my posts and find a few topics. My Buckeye pecks a target, pecks when I tap and say "peck", is harness trained, and will type hi on the keyboard.

Can type hi on a keyboard? Do you have video of that? Too funny!​

6. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
  7. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Can type hi on a keyboard? Do you have video of that? Too funny!

Afraid not. Besides, he is kind of rusty. It comes out more like gibberish. It wouldn't take too long to get him typing it again. He tries.

8. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
  9. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Actually that wasn't the video or the thread that I meant, but it was great! In her video, the clicker did not seem to play a big role. I suspect it might not even be needed. When the chicken pecked a bell, it got a treat. I think that might be all it needed for inspiration, lol. I can't wait to try this with mine. Thanks for those links and thanks also to Ondra's Seramas for the training pdf!

10. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    At 2:00 you can hear the clicker-trained Mothership coming to Earth. At 3:00 it leaves. After that, she has to do the clicker thing, indoors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by