Does anyone do anything interesting with feathers the chickens lost?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by buckbeak, Sep 9, 2007.

1. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    My chickens have lost some really nice feathers & my kids started saving them. We only save the really nice ones- not dirty, etc. I have them in a ziplock bag! Does anyone make wreaths, or do anything with their chicken's feathers?
    Thanks!
    Carol

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    If you find something to do with them let me know, I have some really nice looking Guinnea feathers grey with white spots. Right now I just toss them in the trash.

P.S. ever eat at the Italian Restuarant in the Clock Tower plaza. next ot goodwill. They have the best stuffed pizza

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I plan on using our nice feathers, that I'm gathering up, to decorate dried gourds with.

I've also made a "floral" arrangement (for a friend) using peacock feathers (given to us by another friend). Will take a pic tomorrow and post it here.

Dawn

4. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I have seen a picture frame with chicken feathers on it and it was really pretty.

jackie

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Making pillows for example is really becoming a lost art. Simple things like a head band on a nice hat are beautiful and simple and are often done yet. Seems like maybe their was a article in backyard poultry magazine about using lost feathers.

bigzio

6. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Hi All!
    Dawn- yes, let's see pics! I also have gourds growing all over the place!

mdbucks- Antonios! Sure! My daughter's friend works there! What brings you to beautiful downtown Morgantown, PA?

bigzio- I had thought about pillows for the smaller silkie feathers, but some of the bigger ones are so pretty that it seems like they should go in a wreath or something.

Jackiedon- picture frames sound cool too!

7. imloulou

imloulou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    My kids stick the feathers in the door screen of the coop. (and now my husband and I do this too [​IMG] ) They do not fall out. This is not a way to preserve them but we love this...the feathers blow in the wind and are beautiful:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lisa

8. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Oh, that's fun! We could do that too!

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    The feathers on the coop door is so pretty, great idea

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I've been saving them because I thought they were just too pretty to toss, though I haven't got a clue what to do with them yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by