Does anyone do Date Night for their Roosters?

tdgill

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Cecil Co. MD - 5Yrs. Chickens 4Yrs. Ducks
feeling sorry for my buff roo, but the girls jackets are in the wash and I think they need a couple days off. In the midst of feeling bad for him, I figured if he was running loose in the flock he'd be having a tougher time NOT getting any anyway. As he is the sub roo. So, with a small flock in mind, does anyone just let the roosters with the girls part-time? So far I am juggling, clothing, and humoring 2 roos to 4 hens. Doing Ok but could be better. What would your date night (daytime of course) schedule be like?

I was going to have a sleep over with my neighbors roo, but read on BYC that it could be detrimental to my ladies. When I thought about ...I wouldn't want that kind of intro either
hu.gif
So unromantic and on a first date and all. Might just get eggs or chicks from the neighbor.

Last edited:
lol.png
I actually have a seperate pad for my rooster, and yeah, on the weekends he gets his girls, but otherwise is always rather lonely. They get to see him and all, through a chicken wire fence, but that's it. He'll try and show off his stuff for them, or offer them treats, or whatever, but that's where it ends. The first time I started letting him out on weekends, boy was he happy. He didn't know what to do at first!

Once I get more chickens (yes, they are indeed like potato chips) I'll use the roo-pen for all my roosters, along with their own seperate coop to relax in. When it is time I want one to do his thing. I'll put them in a "breeding pen" which is about 70'x50' Plenty room for them.

Breading Pen hummmm. Sooo perplexed
idunno.gif
I do want a roo but ds isn't so keen on it . He's within earshot of the coop. But a weekend "getaway" ...sounds kind of interesting Thanks for the idea
frow.gif

Last edited:
Hah! At first I thought you might be suggesting some kind of anthropomorphic chicken prom ritual!

But, no, I'm a believer that roosters do not need to have constant access to the girls. It's in everyone's well being to have limited access.

My roo Stan has separate quarters in the coop, but is in constant visual contact through a chicken wire partition. During the day, he usually patrols the outside of the pen and is always chattering and ordering the girls around through the fence. On nice days, the girls go out to join him for some free range time and he gets to do his rooster stuff then, but only after I re-establish that the hens belong to me and they're just on temporary loan.

I think this keeps Stan from having dominance issues and getting aggressive toward people. And it sure gives the girls a lot more peace.

Back
Top Bottom