Does anyone donate their surplus eggs to a food pantry?

Knucker Hatch Farms

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi there,

We are so over run with beautiful tasty eggs that I wanted to explore the idea of sending our surplus to a local food pantry. I don't even know if this is a possibility legally, but if anyone does this already, I would love to hear from others what I am up against. If the food pantry is provided by an organization, and the food is given out for free, are there restrictions about fresh produce? I have already contacted the food pantry and they will be looking into it, but I wanted to hear from you all as well. Maybe one organization is bound by laws that another is not?

It seems like such a shame to not be able to give these eggs to families in need. Right now I have 10 dozen in the fridge looking for new fridge homes, and we give as many as we can every week to families and friends that we know.

So am I most likely screwed by red tape, or can someone give me hope that good will does exist without the government getting in the way.

Warm Regards,

Mama Knucker Hatch

Some people do, I wouldn't just for the liability. I have worked in food service for years and even a lot of companies stopped donating food because of the liability.
I give mine away to friends who I hope wouldn't sue if they ever got sick.
Brian

We have a food pantry that also does meals for homeless and they take all we can give them. They don't give them out to people but instead use them to provide breakfast in the soup kitchen. We have a lot of food pantries that wont take them. But at least the largest one does and makes good use of them. We recently took 23 dozen to them and they were over joyed to get them.

I could not find a food pantry in my local area that would take them (they don't handle perishables), but the local homeless shelter was not so particular. They were delighted to take all that I could bring.

.....Alan.

Thank you all for your guidance.

I do worry about litigation, so I will be asking the pantry what they do to avoid litigation issues for their goods. And then, sadly I will be probably taking any paperwork they provide me (if they have any) off to our lawyer to have it checked out. All that to give away free eggs.
tongue.gif

But in the end it feels worth it since other families will get to partake of my girls' hard work and will appreciate the donation. Plus, I'm not feeling guilty about throwing old eggs down the drain!

Warm Regards,

Mama Knucker Hatch

A.T. Hagan :

I could not find a food pantry in my local area that would take them (they don't handle perishables), but the local homeless shelter was not so particular. They were delighted to take all that I could bring.

.....Alan.

Hey Alan
Try Interfaith off 301 in Ocala. That is where we take ours.​

Back
Top Bottom