Does anyone eat their peafowl?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by cassie, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I am overrun with peafowl. Does anyone eat them and how do you cook them?

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    You could just give them to me... [​IMG]
    That would save you the trouble of cooking them. I assume you could cook them like you would a turkey.
    But, as I mentioned, you could always just give them to me. My pair would love the company!

3. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    I am in California, Paganbird. I'd gladly GIVE them to you if you were closer. You'd have to catch 'em though. I can't raise any flowers because of the darn things.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    well, they used to be a delicacy. i don't see why you couldn't. they are just fabulous pheasant. go for it!

5. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    LOL!
    Well, I doubt my husband would let me drive to Ca to catch peafowl! Thanks for the offer, though.
    If you don't eat them all, you could always send me some eggs in the spring. [​IMG]
    You'll have to let us know how the roasted Thanksgiving Peafowl turns out. [​IMG]

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    A friend of mine ate one once and said they were just like turkey, BUT they are too beautiful to eat, give them away locally and buy a turkey! Cost too much to eat...

7. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    You could put them on Craigs list for free as "you catch them you keep them".
    It gets them off your flowers.

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    In the movie "Six Days, Seven Nights" they eat one. But there isn't anytning else to eat. But, they loved it. I hope ours don't eat all our flowers....we have a lot of land, maybe they'll be ok....

9. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    The only way to catch my peafowl is with a .22. They roost in the trees, they fly, and they are very very fast. They eat ALL my flowers except the ones I have in cages or hanging baskets. I am getting very tired of it. Used to have a man that would come down and trap them. His phone is now disconnected. I just want them GONE!!

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Perhaps run an add - Free Peafowl, you catch...................perhaps set up a trap pen full of flowers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by