Does anyone else give their chickens a HOT breakfast?

CALI CHICK

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Rio Linda, CA
As I was warming up a bit of mixed vegetables, mash, oatmeal and 7-grain cereal, I began to wonder, "Does anyone else prepare special, warm meals for their chicks on cool mornings?" Maybe I'm just a crazy lady in California that is spoiling my chicks. -That's what my husband thinks. The chickens love it and I feel like if I treat them good, they'll someday lay healthy eggs for us and the meaties will give us nutritious meals!
clap.gif

Rhody, Rocky and Buffy chowing down their warm breakfast:
88993_dscf1093.jpg

Denny and Stew eating breakfast like there is no tomorrow:
88993_dscf1094.jpg

Guilty as charged!! I did this all last winter too, the girls' just loved their warmed up breakfast. Somedays I would just give them their pellets that were soaked in warm h2o, some days they got some oatmeal mixed in w/ it. I would also vary btwn scratch or some boss mixed in. Either way, they loved it & I'll be doing it again this yr when the weather is colder. Nothing is too much for my babies!! I love them so much!!!
love.gif
love.gif

I never realized a person could LOVE a chicken.
love.gif
Seriously (and sadly) 6 months ago, I had never touched a chicken except for dinner.
We are so loving our chickens, too. If we didn't have an inside dog, I would probably make them chicken diapers and keep them in the house!

on the weekends I fix oatmeal and cornmeal mush and scrambled egg for them. I figure that we eat a hearty breakfast on the weekends and so do our dogs so why not the chickens? they don't get much, just a 1/2 cup of hot cereal with one scrambled egg between the 7 of them but they sure do like it!

A.T. Hagan :

Sure, sure. Every morning. I throw a can of whole corn to them and it heats them right up!
tongue.png

yuckyuck.gif

I had a feeling somebody would have to go there...​

Last edited:
I do once in a while. We don't get snow where I live but it does get chilly some mornings. So when I make oatmeal for us, I always make extra for the girls. And they love it when I mix some of their feed in warm water and doctor it up with some dried meal worms or seeds. They go gonzo for that stuff.

But you should see DH sulk in the kitchen, is that for the hens? Are you making that for the girls? Is this tupperware for the cluckies?

I mean SERIOUSLY, I just cooked you breakfast or made dinner and cleaned up the kitchen. I even baked you your favorite cookies. With fresh eggs that the hens lay for us. So YES, this is for the girls!

I may this winter when we get the cold blasts. Other than that I don't. Well one of my broodies got warm boiled eggs today for lunch that she wolfed down and shared with her new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom