Does anyone else have bunnies on the way?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dutchgirl, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I bred my Mini Lops, Chaplin and Mollie, on the 13th. The bunnies are due on the 16th of March. Now comes the second hardest part... waiting for the doe to kindle! (The first hardest part is waiting for the bunnies, who you know are just sitting there in the nest, to be old enough to play with. ;) )

So I'm wondering... what is everyone else waiting for? I'd love to see pictures!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    This is Mollie. Sorry for the bad picture.

[​IMG]

And this is Chaplin. Ugh! This one doesn't really show him, either!

[​IMG]

3. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I just had two mini Rex litters last week. Two Californian litters Sunday. And I've got two more mini Rex and a Californian due this coming weekend :)

4. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    My NZ's decided it was time on their own. My girl jumped in with my boy in the morning and in the evening when I was out feeding them. Apparently she has a thing for him or something! This is the first time they've bred and my first batch of bunnies if it took. We shall see... I will post pics later.

5. inthesticks

inthesticks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Massachusetts
    These little ones are Netherland dwarfs - They arrived Valentine's morning. 1st litter of the year. Should be having another little of NDs soon & with any hope will also have another ND litter a 1/2 Lionhead 1/2ND one, & 1/2 mini lop 1/2 ND. This time around, due to the really cold/windy weather we have been having, I paired up my outside buns so they have had free access to
    'do as they please' I just palpate them when it's feeding time - & if I feel kits, that bun comes inside till they kindle & the little ones get big enough to be outside. more pic of these 4 prob tomorrow.

[​IMG]

6. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I had a litter of mixes, a litter of Lionheads the other day and I'm expecting a litter of Holland Lops hopefully.

From the mix litter, there's 7 total
    [​IMG]
    From the mix litter
    [​IMG]

Sire of my Hollands
    [​IMG]

Dam of my Hollands
    [​IMG]

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Beautiful bunnies!

8. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    May I ask what everyone does with their bunnies.
    I have heard of people raising them as pets and for meat.
    Is there a viable market for selling them?

9. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    We raise show and meat rabbits. No "viable" market, but a nice hobby.

10. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    My 4-H presentation for this year is on running a rabbitry. I narrowed down the categories of raising rabbits to: selling them as pets, selling their meat, selling them as show rabbits, owning pet rabbits, selling them for their fur (like with Angora rabbits), and also you can sell brood stock.
    In my area, a lot of people want rabbits, but I'm only making enough money to keep my rabbitry running. Something seems to always come up in a rabbitry (IMO) whether it be, needing to repair something, needing to buy medication, needing to buy new cages or care supplies, that quickly uses up the money you've earned.
    I raise rabbits because I love it. I love working with animals and trying to better my stock. I love raising the little rabbits that I've, essentially, brought into this world, and I love finding them their new loving homes and seeing the joy on the face of the new owner. I find it to be a very rewarding hobby.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by