Does Anyone else have House chickens???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chihuahuamom444, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Is there anyone out there that has a chicken that actually lives in the house like a cat or dog? Dont get me wrong, she doesnt just walk around and poo everywhere...I have a large cage for her and she goes outside during the day (not in winter)....I would Love to see what sort of cages/enclosures you guys have inside....or maybe Im the only one:rolleyes:

2. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Should have mentioned, she is a little Tiny bantam

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sophie, The Diva Chicken.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:Haha So cute ! Does she just have the run of the house wearing a diaper or does she have a cage inside? Ive never tried the diaper on my chicken, she prob wouldnt care either.

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Haha! That is cute! Is that a duck in the last two pictures?

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hubby doesn't know it yet, but I've got some Polish bantam frizzle eggs in the incy, and I am planning on keeping one as my house pet..........A friend of mine has a little Polish bantam frizzle named Partybird.....he's all white, and he is the cutest thing on the planet......He even has his own facebook page.....too cute!

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sophie has a page also... hehe. That is a baby emu... and no it does not live in the house long, hehe. [​IMG]

8. QuinnP

QuinnP Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    I've got a spoiled rotten house roo who was feeling his oats this morning, crowing a lot (I was holding him & crowing back at him while scratching his neck) His name is Arlo & he does not know he's a chicken. (He has a yellow raincoat too!!)

9. Elinor's chicks

Elinor's chicks Chirping

Sep 26, 2009
    Lexington KY
    I've got 3!! A Brahma bantam hen I've had several months in one cage, and two bantam cochin pullets I just bought (as least I HOPE they are both pullets) in another. I live in town, in a townhouse, and I'm very much into 'urban farming.' I grow veggies and herbs in my tiny patch of back yard and on the deck. I also raise rabbits - French Angoras for spinning fiber, since I'm a handspinner - and they are in the house too. My spare bedroom has been turned into the 'barn.'

I had two large rabbit cages left empty......so why not chickens!? When I got my first hen at a poultry show, I stopped at a feed store on the way home, and when I asked for 5 pounds of layer mash and grit. The lady at the counter looked at me with a straight face and asked if it was going to be a house chicken!

I took the wire floor out of the rabbit cages, and let them scratch in what was the dropping pan. Add feed and water containers - again, rabbit bowls that screw onto the side of the cage, up out of the pine shavings on the floor - and add a 1-inch dowel for a perch, and there you go! My girls love attention, the new babies, especially. If I sit on the floor and put my elbows out like wings, they will run under my arms for a snuggle, like they did with their mom. They each have their own personalities. The hen has learned to 'step up' like a parrot, and rides my arm from place to place in the house. She loves to perch by the glass deck doors and watch the world go by. I'm making a covered 'chicken tractor' so they can get out for fresh air, and to dig in the grass for bugs.

10. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Elinor's chicks :

I've got 3!! A Brahma bantam hen I've had several months in one cage, and two bantam cochin pullets I just bought (as least I HOPE they are both pullets) in another. I live in town, in a townhouse, and I'm very much into 'urban farming.' I grow veggies and herbs in my tiny patch of back yard and on the deck. I also raise rabbits - French Angoras for spinning fiber, since I'm a handspinner - and they are in the house too. My spare bedroom has been turned into the 'barn.'

I had two large rabbit cages left empty......so why not chickens!? When I got my first hen at a poultry show, I stopped at a feed store on the way home, and when I asked for 5 pounds of layer mash and grit. The lady at the counter looked at me with a straight face and asked if it was going to be a house chicken!

I took the wire floor out of the rabbit cages, and let them scratch in what was the dropping pan. Add feed and water containers - again, rabbit bowls that screw onto the side of the cage, up out of the pine shavings on the floor - and add a 1-inch dowel for a perch, and there you go! My girls love attention, the new babies, especially. If I sit on the floor and put my elbows out like wings, they will run under my arms for a snuggle, like they did with their mom. They each have their own personalities. The hen has learned to 'step up' like a parrot, and rides my arm from place to place in the house. She loves to perch by the glass deck doors and watch the world go by. I'm making a covered 'chicken tractor' so they can get out for fresh air, and to dig in the grass for bugs.

Im so happy to hear that, Ive had one house chicken who is prob around 6-7 yrs old and I Just got a teany tiny adult silkie who Has to be a house chicken, in my oppinion, she is a dwarf and Precious....I have the outside chickens in the coop and all that, but for some reason my first little banty has No interest in being with them. She was an only chicken for a few years and has no desire to hang out with the others. I am also making a portable run for her because she does like to be outside digging and doing chicken things. I tried to introduce her to our new little girl and that was a NO GO, she grabbed that big poof on the top of her head and I had to grab her quick before she hurt her. So looks like they will be roommates but not in the same cage. I was wondering today, do you think that I could use the pressed paper pellets cat litter for her or would a chicken eat them? I think it would be cleaner to keep than the shavings, she makes a mess with them.....​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: