Does Anyone else have House chickens???

I do, unfortunately. Meet Inbar, the featherless chicken:

Day037.jpg

She makes my life utterly miserable but no one else wants her so I'm stuck with her. She lived in a huge double story cage until last week, when I moved into a tiny apartment so now she has a rabbit cage. She just eats, poops, eats her poop, lays eggs, eats her eggs & makes a noise all day no matter how big her living space is. She's an emotional cripple & picks on any other chickens as well as taking a chunk out of me whenever possible. I had a sweet & wonderful silkie before but I rehomed her when I learned that I would be moving to such a small place. I'm sure Inbar would have been a much nicer bird if she had been raised by me & not in a lab cage.

I have to say she is cute tho, alittle freaky looking:lol:...I have a hairless cat and he eats A LOT, they say its something to do with their metabolism, maybe bald chickens do the same?

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Quote:
Haha! Thats cute! Do emu's lay eggs too? Where did you get an emu? Sorry I am asking so many questions!
wee.gif

All birds lay eggs - as far as I know none of them give birth live.
tongue.png

Now, whether they lay enough to keep them for that purpose...I don't know.

I have a cockerel who's going to stay with me when we move the rest of the chicks outside.
smile.png
I'm still working on the diaper part though, has anyone else had problems with their bird just going limp while they wear it? Both of the geese started wearing them when they were a few days to a week old, and they've never had any problems, but I didn't get a diaper for him until he was a few months old. It's not bad at all, bantams are neater than geese in that respect, but I would like to be able to give him the run of my room at least part of the time, and I don't feel like having to clean EVERYTHING when I do.

He just doesn't move when he's wearing a diaper. He'll move his head for a treat, but not his legs or wings, unless he's trying to get it off and somersaulting backwards. I can sometimes get him to walk forward if I move away or something startles him, but most of the time if I even try to get him to perch normally he falls over backwards. Now, the diapers I've tried for him were somewhat ill-fitting, made for a duckling or a gosling instead of for a fully-feathered bantam, so will it help when I get a nice one made for him? Or will I just have to keep trying until he decides he can move?
hmm.png

this is romeo.hes a 2 yr.old serama.hes moms pretty boy and loves to fight with his dad.he has a 3x4 cage hes in when im not home and comes out in the afternoon.he also has a stuffed animal he thinks is his girlfriend.
37930_the_kids_026.jpg

37930_the_kids_022.jpg

37930_romeo_003.jpg

I'd love to have a house chicken some day. My concern is the poo. The only reason I don't let my ringneck doves fly around the room is because they would crap on my fan...on my computer...on all my special personal belongings and one day I forgot to clean the fan and turned it on... EW.

Do you guys just clean the poop off the floor or diaper your chickens?

Quote:
I dont usually let mine walk around much inside for that reason, Ive never tried the diaper thing......when I do let her walk around it's on the tile floor just in case

Back
Top Bottom