does anyone else have quail that sleep like this?

farmerJonBrown

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2015
Macon Ga

Is this normal? None of the other ones sleep like that. But every evening I find this one laying on its side with its feet straight out.

As long as it gets up and acts normal, yes they do sleep that way.

However sometimes they can lay like this if they are over heating. As long as this is not the case and the bird is healthy, then this is a comfortable position to sleep in for this chick! LOL

Pretty soon, they'll stop sleeping like that. One of my hatches, I thought I lost all the chicks in my brooder, as they were all laying like that, and when they heard me, they all jumped up.
James

I'm relatively new to raising bobwhite quail - one day a couple weeks ago, I came in to find ALL of them lying on their sides with legs straight out, not moving...I freaked out and then THEY freaked out! LOL Scared the hell out of me! Nobody warned me that they sleep like they're dead for the first week or so of life!!
So yes, like TwoCrows said, as long as your little one jumps to his/her feet when disturbed - and otherwise seems healthy - they DO sleep like they're dead! I think it's a quail thing. I didn't notice this sleeping behavior with my Pekin ducks.

Back
Top Bottom