does anyone else have this problem?!?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chkinut, Feb 8, 2012.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that has trouble eating their egg layers who have a name, and have been around for a couple years, and are friendly birds? usually i give my girls away if they get "old" or are too loud (i live in town), but just recently, i've allowed my best friend to process them and eat them. it would be nice if we (me and my family) could do that, so at least we're getting a meal out of it. but when she comes to process the girl, i have to leave and go shopping or something. now we ARE getting a couple cornish X and i really don't think i'll have a problem with it. they won't be around for long, they won't have a name. i can do everything except chop off it's head. i don't mind getting my hands dirty. but for my girls whom i love, that have been around for awhile? ones that run to me for treats and let me pick them up and love on them? how do i ever bring myself to eat one? do i just need to suck it up? chickens are my favorite animals and i'm just crazy about them. they are so entertaining, sweet, and wonderful girls.

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    lol, i noticed alot of people answered this question in my previous thread (what to do with strictly egg layers). good advice, to just get one breed. although i must say, i will ALWAYS have ONE pet hen that will have a free ride till she dies of old age. i have one now, her name is Cricket and she's a SCM. she LOVES to sit on my lap, peck my hair, "talk" to me etc. that girl never has to lay another egg! she will live out her days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by