Does anyone else have to deal with this sort of reaction from people, when they find out you raise q

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CrazyQuailLady, Aug 3, 2014.

1. CrazyQuailLady

CrazyQuailLady Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Several people have asked me what I do with my quails. When I tell them I raise them for eggs and meat, they have this look of shock horror on their faces and can't get over the fact that yes I kill these cute little quails once they are grown up. It's not fun to do but at the same time I'm not a vegetarian and I know for a fact these folks aren't vegetarian either.

Hypocritical, if you ask me.

How often do other quail raisers have to deal with this sort of reaction from people and what do you say to them?

2. azer

azer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Moreno Valley , CA
    I'm just going to start raising quails for eggs and meat, but when I mention why I have them and what my plans are for them ... I get the [​IMG] but why response .... I tell them is the circle of life lol

1 person likes this.
  3. mmmeyer

mmmeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    south jersey
    I have chickens for the eggs and that alone grosses out the people I work with at my day job. They ask why I don't fill the chickens for food but They say could never eat the eggs...GO figure.

I remember when I was little we had bobwhites around the property. They've long since (over 40yrs) been gone. I've though of raising some and lettinf them loose although feral cats might take them all out...I don't know.

1 person likes this.
  4. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Hypocritical yes, anyone that hunts to put food on the table gets the same reaction, it is an unfortunate reaction but apparently most believe meat only comes on polystyrene trays with plastic over the top and sold in a supermarket. Many people just don't like to think it was once a cute little calf, lamb or chick once that someone killed.

1 person likes this.
  5. azer

Mar 17, 2013
    Moreno Valley , CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are my little ones ... The one in the far left is a jumbo ringneck pheasant...

1 person likes this.
  6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been processing livestock my whole life and I've gotten that look a lot. All I can do is feel sorry for those people. They don't even possess the most basic human skill of being able to prepare their own meat for consumption. If lost in the woods or put in a survival situation those people will get their Darwin awards long before folks like us do .

1 person likes this.
  7. yardraven

yardraven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Isle of Wight UK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the same Chinese in order of growth. Day 1 to 66. I have a similar prejudice here. People look at me with horror when i say you can eat the eggs. Even after i load them up with the benefits of quail eggs. I keep Chinese & Japanese Quail.

2 people like this.
  8. CrazyQuailLady

CrazyQuailLady Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies. Seems like it's a common reaction then. I guess all I can do is explain to people why I do it if they ask and if they don't get it, oh well.

9. azer

Mar 17, 2013
    Moreno Valley , CA
    Keeps them dry and clean ... They love to dust bath... Can't belive how fast they grow they will be two weeks on Wednesday ...

10. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Birds under 4 weeks shouldn't be allowed contact with dirt or sand. It skyrockets their chances of getting enteritis which can be fatal to your entire flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by