1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone else love the Opera?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by herechickchick, Nov 30, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I LOVE the Opera. I am listening to Maria Callas's recording of Bizet's Carmen. My family has a charitable foundation that supports the arts and we have been a sponsor of Opera Memphis for many years. I grew up with the sounds of Rene Flemming, Joan Sutherland, Victoria de los Angeles, Placido Domingo and of course Pavarotti (whom which my great aunt and uncle had the pleasure of dining with one evening in Miami). My first opera was really an operetta by Gilbert and Sullivan, The Mikado and I loved it, I was 10. I have seen many operas over the years my favorite being La Traviata. Every Saturday at noon National Public Radio hosts its World of Opera. NPR broadcasts operas from the most famous opera houses around the world. If you have never listened you should check it out. So any one else like the opera? If so which ones.

Here are some photos of my favorites:

1983 Film La Traviata:

[​IMG]

Rene Flemming in Manon

[​IMG]

Carmen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'll admit it.

I hate it.

I had a friend try to convert me to it when I was in Milwaukee going to school years ago.

I went with her a few times and I slept through it or was annoyed.

Wish I could be more appreciative of it.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am sure I would love it if it were in a language I could understand. I love the theatrics, but can't understand a word they sing.

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I like Classical.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I used to have a friend who would take me to the NY City Opera and Metropolitan Opera several times a year. I must say that the best experience was the NY City Opera's early production of La Cenerentola (Cinderella) when they first were testing subtitles over the stage. Once I knew what the heck they were singing, it was great. And there were so many witty parts, and the whole audience laughed, instead of just a few.

6. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I got to see Carmen. I would go again if I could afford it.

7. Quote:It is a wonderful and thrilling thing this opera. It is full of hope, despair and the human condition.

I do not like it either, but hey if someone took me and paid for dinner, YOU BET i would go!!!

Really, my old boss, simply loved the opera. He told me you either LOVE it or you HATE it. I did not hate it, I guess I am the exception to the rule.

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I agree for most it is a love or hate relationship. I never read the subtitles. I read the stories carefully before I go so that I am aware of what is happening. Buff Hooligans I have always wanted to go to the Met but I have never been to New York. I went to the Paris Opera house while I was in Europe and it was incredible. We did not get to see a show as they were in between productions.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I love it! And my 17 year old son has been addicted to it since he was a baby.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I LOVE OPERA! Been a fan for over thirty years and loving it!

I dont have to understand the language but the body language and some words you can get the idea and subtitles are helpful!

English singing opera does not have the same "feeling" as the Italian singing does....dunno why but maybe its just the language and beauty of the singing makes it worthwhile.

I love Domingo.....he's handsome and nowadays, I dont see much of him. He must have been enjoying his semi retiring days and being a manager of the Washington (Seattle? or Spokane) opera. I dont have any updates on him but his autobiography "My first 40 years is great reading.

Pavarotti still is the classic, the real modern day Caruso ever lived.

Carreras is still enjoyable but the upcoming Jose Cura is just as good and he plays Otello well......cant say if 'Cura and Domingo are the "real" Otelo but each singer has their own place.

Jerry Hadley is another favorite of mine but he passed away unfortunately of suicide. Poor guy!

Renee Fleming, she is one heck of a singer. So is Kiri De Kewana. Never cared for ear shrilling Joan Sutherland....Im sorry I just can not enjoy her....its like fingernails on chalkboard!

I dont know of any upcoming Met opera stars. I used to watch them on PBS channels but they dont get the funds necessary to watch the Met Opera which I have enjoyed it back in the eighties which they used to come on once a week in the evenings. It was GREAT!

I sure hope the Met will bring back the programs it used to have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by