does anyone else raise red broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fowlwoman1, May 31, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I've seen posts about red bro broilers, but I don't think that is what I have. I was just interested in exchanging thoughts about them. I love them and think that they're great birds, however i have not yet eaten any yet.

2. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi Wenatchee person! Which Red Broilers did you get and from which hatchery? There are 100's of different types of Red Broilers out there and they're not the same bird each.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I raised red broliers from Ideal Hatchery. I have had cornish crosses before but deceided to try the red broilers. I wanted a bird that grew slower than the cornish crosses. The birds did great. They grew slower and with no leg problems. They were even better about foraging in the grass looking for things to eat. In the past I always was disappointed that the cornish crosses were happy to just sit around and eat. I really like the way the red broilers moved around.
    However when it came time to clean the birds I was not as happy. The red broilers seem to have less meat. They ate more because I had to grow them out longer to make up for their slow growth. When it came to eating them I thought the cornish crosses tasted better and had a better texture.
    These are my experiences. When I grow meat birds again I will go with the cornish crosses. If you have any questions I will try to answer.

5. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    No one has been able to verify with Ideal where they are getting their broilers from. All meat birds come from one of 3 breeders, Hubbar, Ross-Cobb and another one. If they'd just tell us, we would know everything about the birds becuase we have the catalogs. But, right now, I'm not exactly sure if the Red Broiler is just a "slow cornish" or something bred differently. [​IMG]

6. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I bought 15 Red Bro Broilers from J.M. Hatchery and could not be happier. Communication was phenomenal and all of the birds arrived in great condition and have been eating like little pigs. I would highly recommend them and would use them again.
    [​IMG]

7. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I am certain that the Red Bro's from JM are not the Red Broilers from Ideal. There is so much confusion!

8. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    So if one were to want the Red Bros that were most like the Freedom Rangers, what hatchery would you recommend Greyfields? I am trying to sort this all out and as a newbie to meat chickens I am getting lost!

Thank you!

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have never had the cornish crosses, because I was concerned about having to withhold their food and feed them twice a day, and didnt want birds who couldnt walk. I raised the red broilers from Ideal (at the time I couldnt find another hatchery to get them from) about two years ago, and got 25. They do grow a lot slower, mine dressed out about 6 lbs at 12 weeks, so there is twice as long as the cornish. However, I would wonder if they really eat more, as the cornish gorge themselves and the reds do not.

They looked a lot like RIR's actually. I was quite happy with mine, and I was able to take what we didnt butcher to the swap to sell, something I wouldnt have been able to do with the cornish. All we did to ours though was breast them out and keep the legs and thighs. We are not ones to eat a whole chicken.

10. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    My concern with ordering from Ideal was the shipping distance. I am in Michigan and Texas is a long way away! Anyone have trouble ordering from such a distance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by