Does anyone else think it's strange...

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
I wasn't really sure where I should post this.

I've been wondering about chicken reproduction organs (the males, that is) since they aren't able to be sexed. I figured their parts were internal. Well, I read up on it the other day and found out that male chickens don't have a penis.
ep.gif
Wow, seriously?! That is SO WEIRD to me!

Birds are completely different than mammals. Have you never watched Animal Planet or National Geographic Channel? They show this stuff all the time. And they can be sexed just after hatch by looking in the vent of the chick before it eats anything; sexers go to school to learn the art.

They have an internal bumped , just like Turkey. The bumb kinda works like a gland, it secrets semen ( at least I think that is true, the bump is for sure, its the gland thing I am not positive of).

Have you never watched Animal Planet or National Geographic Channel? They show this stuff all the time.

I grew up watching Animal Planet and TLC and have never heard this in my life.

And they can be sexed just after hatch by looking in the vent

Well, I know that, what I meant was they can't be sexed by the average joe.

man i feel kind of sorry for them now

I know, me too! I told my husband about it and he couldn't believe it. He told one of his friends and he didn't believe him. I'm sure a lot of people don't know this... I've already had to explain to every family member the difference between a fertilized egg, unfertilized egg, how an egg hatches (they think any egg laid will magically pop out a chick), and that a hen does not need a rooster to lay an egg.​

Last edited:
When I was a kid, the chicks at the chicken ranch were sexed by Japanese people. This was just after the end of the war, and jobs were hard to come by for Japanese. So, looking at chicken butts was a good job for them. They were very secretive about what they were looking at down there.

As I understood it, the chicken's sex organs can have something like fourteen different configurations. This indicates to me that the domestic chicken is decended from various wild birds.

Rufus

Ducks have penises though. I have no idea why. Well I mean obviously I know why
tongue.png
but I mean I have no idea why they, almost alone among all birds, should. One of life's little mysteries I guess.

Pat

They don't have a penis, it is true, but there testicles are humongous, and it is easy to sex chicks just by looking at the testes.

Sorry
tongue.png
I just couldn't resist.

Quote:
Ummm. No. The testicals are inside the bird lodged in the area of their lower backbone. You couldn't see them if you tried.

Google the term - cloacal kiss.

It was a joke.
wink.png

I realize a rooster's gonads (aka testes, testicles) are internal. I just couldn't resist the temptation to be silly. The "cloaca kiss" you refer to is the actual act of fertilization, versus a descriptor for male gonads. If you've ever noticed how hens do that sudden stoop and butt-in-the-air maneuver when you reach down to pat them on the back, you will see that their vent evaginates (with internal anatomy protruding outward)..ready to receive sperm. Apparently hens think their being copulated with when assume this posture. You pet them, and then they straighten themselves up and shake (ruffle) their feathers. During actual fertilization, the male leaves his sperm (in foam form) on the evaginated vent of the female. No penetration necessary. When he's done and hops off, the female's vent retracts, and the sperm is therefore already internally deposited. Voila...fertilization accomplished. That's the cloach kiss, as it were.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom