Does anyone else using DLM have issues with bedding leaking out of the coop? And know how to fix it?

Farmer Mike S

Songster
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
Glen Mills, PA
In my coop I have a 1x6 going across the door in front of the coop, the side doors, and another 1x6 separating my nesting boxes from the rest of the litter. From the chickens scratching in the coop and me being towards the end of the cycle in the deep litter method, I now have dirty pine shavings leaking out of everywhere. They leak out the front door into the run where they find their way into the waterer. Every time I open the side doors a whole bunch falls out. I've been throwing out eggs because the nesting boxes are getting filled with dirty shavings everyday. So much falls out that I have to add shavings everyday or else I'll only have like 3 inches of shavings in there in about a week.

Those aren't recent images, but it's the inside of my coop with the same setup I currently have. Are there any quick fixes to address my problem?

All you can do is either clean out the coop or put higher boards around the openings to hold it in. I certainly wouldn't throw out eggs because a little dirty bedding got in the nest, that seems rather wasteful and unnecessary, eggs can be washed, if I threw out every dirty egg I'd be throwing away half my eggs, an I don't know anyone who got sick from eating a dirty egg that had been cleaned up.

Try sand in your coop very easy to clean with a cat litter scoop and won't leak out everywhere and if it does you won't notice it like shavings, continue the shavings in the nest boxes.

All you can do is either clean out the coop or put higher boards around the openings to hold it in.  I certainly wouldn't throw out eggs because a little dirty bedding got in the nest, that seems rather wasteful and unnecessary, eggs can be washed, if I threw out every dirty egg I'd be throwing away half my eggs, an I don't know anyone who got sick from eating a dirty egg that had been cleaned up.

I typically do wash my dirty eggs, but these eggs are literally completely poop covered and gross. Plus they have been small because my chickens just started back up laying

Back
Top Bottom