1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone else's dog do this?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TechnoCat, Nov 21, 2011.

1. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    my dog- senka (german shepherd and black lab mix- two years old)- PROTECTS MY CHICKENS! [​IMG] it's so crazy! she'll chase off raccoons and any other predator (this i enjoy, never have to worry about anything harming my girls! [​IMG] ) , BUT SHE DOESN'T CHASE THE CHICKENS!
    we raised her knowing NEVER to touch the girls but WOW, I never knew she would PROTECT the girls! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If anyone else's dog does this tell me!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My dogs do this [​IMG] Never had to train them to not touch them or to protect, and they do it automatically. I haven't seen them chase off any predators (we don't have any yet), but I have seen my poodle walk in between a fight between two hens. She calmly placed her body in the centre and the fight stopped. It was pretty darn cute! [​IMG]

3. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a chocolate lab who does the same thing. When my daughter brings her pup (7 mos old) over to play, Kona gets between her and the chickens. She also barks at anything that goes by the yard and at hawks that circle looking for lunch.

What would we do without our dogs???

4. nanaimochick

nanaimochick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    Our little toy poodle isn't much of a protector, and she's kind of low on the pecking order too [​IMG] so she's actually kind of afraid of the chickens after being pecked a few times, but she does BARK a lot if another animal comes into the yard so that is at least a good warning sign for the chickens and for us.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I don't know what I'd do if my dogs tried to get at my chickens! [​IMG]

I usually have my dogs out in the run with me as I go about my daily chores. The chickens get worked up for all of 30 seconds before they realize that they are their dogs. I put an outfit on my poodle (yes, she needed it! It's cold!) and they kept trying to peck at the patterns on her. Chloe didn't mind at all. As long as she got whatever leftovers were available [​IMG]

6. TechnoCat

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    okay good. I thought I was the only one. [​IMG] I'm not alone! Accompanied by my fellow chicken lovers! [​IMG]

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    My Irish Terrier, Fionna is in a fenced yard, and my coops are outside the fence. I do have a turkey hen that likes to fly over the fence and get in there. Fionna never hurts her. I'm afraid to let Fionna out with the chickens.......My turkey hen is pretty big, so I'm not sure how she would act with the smaller chickens.......

You're lucky!

8. TechnoCat

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    you're right. We are very lucky to have such a great dog. But there's a catch- if she is outside while the girls have their free-range time, SOMEONE HAS TO BE WITH HER or she will get bored and try to play with our chickens, and... well... you get the picture (we've never tried this, but we do know she gets bored outside!)

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Fionna would prably do the same. She's just a little over a year old, so she's still kind of puppy-ish.

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    our TERRIER...bull terrier, Elvis loves his girls and will ward off anything or anyone who means harm to them. hes such a good boy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by